Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-15-UWF-TV] Captain Lou's Corner: Ivan Koloff

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That wasn't about Ivan loving America, that was purely about burning hatred for Paul Jones. The team with the JYD was just an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" incident.

Ivan with words for his former nephew Nikita. Ivan throws in some cheap-heat support for Iraq as his babyface turn is more or less Stalinized from history. This is a legitimately good promo from Ivan underneath all that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So they recognized Nikita's US title reign, they recognized his face turn, but they didn't recognize Ivan's own face turn and barely alluded to the fact that it was Albano who managed Ivan to the World title? Just checking.

Ivan's always impressed me with his promo ability, and even at this late date he can still get it done on the mic. As for Capper, he's there because of his mainstream celebrity that came through his association with Cyndi Lauper, that's all. He has nothing to offer as a performer anymore, at least not the way Abrams is choosing to use him. He could have managed, since the tapings (at least most of them) were done at the Penta Hotel in New York right near his home, but Abrams chose to use him like this instead, or maybe this is what Lou himself wanted. Either way, his rants don't do anyone any good, since he can't back them up even by proxy. They'd have been better off with a Gene Okerlund type doing the interviews.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-15-UWF-TV] Captain Lou's Corner: Ivan Koloff