Pro Wrestling Only

Subforum suggestion: Information Repository

JerryvonKramer

I didn't know where to put this so I thought I'd start a thread on it.

Here on PWO there is a nice system for archiving the debates and threads that really "take off" in terms of number of replies. However, not all threads are designed to generate conversation, but rather to inform, educate or pool the collective resources of knowledge for the collective good.

These threads don't tend to be long as they don't generate massive debates, but they often contain useful information. Every once in a while I find myself trawling pages or using the search function to find these threads when I want to check something. Wouldn't it be good if they were collected all together in one place as a nice reference point: a knowledge archive, as it were.

I've only spent 20 minutes or so, but the following threads might be the sort of thing collected. The emphasis is mainly on either information or introductory-type threads, rather than opinion (including GOAT or WON HoF discussion).

Information

Ratings explained

The Flair Formula

A Week in TV in 1986

A Demand for a Comprehensive Buyrates List

WCW Head Bookers

ELO Wrestler Rating System

Hardcore Wrestling History

The Historiography of the Greatest Match Of All Time

Introductory

Joshi for People Who Don't Like Joshi

The Beginner's Guide to British Wrestling

The Beginner's Guide to Lucha Libre

Lucha History

That would be a start. I didn't go many pages deep so there may well be threads that pre-date my registration here that might be useful to include as well.

We could also give some thought to including ... "Tomes", that is, the super-duper in-depth sort of stuff that Dylan has done with Buddy Rose, Jerry Blackwell and Ken Patera and similar threads by other people.

Finally, there might be a thread of links of some useful resources elsewhere, not just stuff like Solie.org or http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com, but stuff like khawk's AWA thread over on DVDR or any number threads by jdw at The Other Arena.

I'm thinking here not only of the regulars who post here every day, but also of newcomers or just people browsing who might not be aware that any of these threads exist. Putting them all in one place would help to make this place a great resource for the online wrestling community in general. Also -- and here's another thought -- it may inspire people to aim to make new threads and contributions.

Ok, I don't mind maintaining a thread.

I've also had a thought that we need a section of this thread linking to the final DVDR 80s rankings for each territory and to various other 80s project resources. Again if a newcomer finds their way here, this sort of thing would be helpful.

I might start a new thread for the purposes of being pinned. Will have to wait till the weekend though. Please post links and suggestions here.

I especially want to know:

What sources do you use for info beyond Graham Crawthorn's site, Solie, Cagematch and WON? If I'm going to do this, it might as well be comprehensive.

I'm going to make a new thread for this that can be pinned. The categories will be:

Information

Introductory

In-depth studies

Useful resources

If anyone has any threads or resources they think should be in this thread then please suggest them here.

Once it is up I will then keep updating it.