Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-16-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler, Jeff Jarrett & Eddie Gilbert / Jackie Fargo promo

Loss

• 1 month later...

Lawler really tears into Texas, its fans and its women. This is a scathing interview. I love it! I wish Jarrett would talk before Lawler when they're out together, because Jarrett is always going to come off flat no matter what. But if Jarrett drops the ball, Gilbert absolutely picks it back up.

They cut to a promo of Jackie Fargo hyping his return to close things out.

• 1 month later...

Lawler runs down a multitude of personal appearances for later that day, and invites the Texas boys to attend one of them. That sounds like a killer angle that I wonder if they ever ran.

Lawler runs down the women and the wrestlers of the state of Texas--another great promo that could air in Dallas and Lawler would be the most hated man in the state.

Gilbert sort of sulks in the background until it's time for him to talk, which is a nice touch. Fargo is ready to have some fun on Monday night.

• 3 weeks later...

Lawler sure did keep a busy schedule with his personal appearances. Lawler and Jarrett have all the gold with World Title, Southern and Tag titles. He doesn’t want to hear about the Texan guys talking about how good they are since they don’t have any belts. Fargo will be at next match to keep an eyes on the Texans. Gilbert is ready to do some Fargo strutting.

Fargo doesn’t look like much of a tough guy in these close ups.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was excellent. Lawler pulls out the jokebook to run down Texas women, specifically Embry's mother, and Eddie promises to be doing the Fargo Strut with no less than the man himself. I like how Eddie's not quite ready to fully integrate himself with the faces, especially since he wants both of their belts. In fact, he blames Embry and Prichard for having to suspend his pursuit of those belts, and he's telling the truth; if Eddie wasn't booked to be on Lawler and Jeff's side in this feud, you can bet your house that he'd still be in the middle of a blood feud with one or both. Jeff's a nice, relatively calm change of pace, which brings me to Fargo.

I know I really can't fault Fargo for the way he's being booked, even if he wanted to be portrayed as being able to stand toe-to-toe with guys like Embry, Prichard, and Funk, the decision's not ultimately his, hence Jarrett's the one to blame. But he's taking advantage of this privilege, if it exists. He's all but challenging the former Unified World champion even as he admits that he's an old man who would supposedly would rather be playing golf, and even as Lawler is telling the fans that the only reason he's putting the tights on is to get a piece of Tojo, a fellow non-wrestler. This is a classic mixed message that can only lead to trouble if Fargo can't match everyone else in the ring during the match, which would be damn near impossible for him to do, not just because of age, but also because of the beatings he's taken over the years.

If I was booking, I'd find a fourth Texas wrestler (probably Austin) and a fourth Tennessee wrestler (Dundee) and fill out the match that way, with Fargo and Tojo as the cornermen. Let them beat each other's brains out on the floor or put them in the ring for a sequence after the regular match is over. Fargo slaps Tojo around for a few minutes, the heels carry Tojo out, and the faces do the Fargo strut to their (and the fans') heart's content.

Count me in as someone who would have liked to see an angle shot at one of Lawler's personal appearances. I know why they didn't do it, though; they didn't want innocent fans accidentally getting hurt, either during the angle itself or in a misguided attempt to save Lawler from whoever the heels were (and don't think some fans wouldn't have tried it).

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-16-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler, Jeff Jarrett & Eddie Gilbert / Jackie Fargo promo