Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-24-WWF-Wrestlemania VII] Interview: Sgt. Slaughter

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sarge didn't actually twirl his mustache, but he was the stereotypical foreign menace heel in every other way here. Was that better than what he's been up until now? I can't answer that. because I didn't much care for either one. I guess portraying him this way was less offensive to the much larger pay-per-view audience, and I guess that's a good thing, although showing the shirt-burning brings back to mind all the offensive garbage that's gone on since this whole mess started at the Royal Rumble.

I liked Sarge mentioning that he could get himself DQd or counted out just to save the title. I've never heard a heel bring that up before; it's usually left to the announcers to do it. As for why it wasn't brought up during the match, if there was ever a time that Vince wanted to openly telegraph a Hogan pinfall win, it was here. It would have been counterproductive to even mention any other possible type of finish, kayfabe be damned. I honestly believe that if Vince thought he could have gotten away with Gino saying as Hogan walked down the aisle, "We've already decided that the Hulkster's gonna beat this no-good turncoat right in the center of the ring!", he would have told him to say just that. If Sarge had kept the belt in any make, shape. or form, the WWF probably would have either gone out of business entirely or at least lost most of its TV.

As usual, Adnan adds absolutely nothing. I keep waiting for Vince to wise up and at least let him mix English and Iraqi (or whatever the language is called) but no such luck.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-24-WWF-Wrestlemania VII] Interview: Sgt. Slaughter