Pro Wrestling Only

Where The Big Boys Play #28

Where the Big Boys Play #28 – Clash of the Champions 3

Posted Image

Chad and Parv review Clash of the Champions 3: Fall Brawl. In this show: some more listener comments aka the Lyle Alzado update, week-by-week Wrestling Observer updates leading up to the Turner deal and Arn and Tully’s departure including Steve Williams and a flight to Tokyo, Summerslam 88: rated 15 in the UK, the oddly non-standard format of the Clash shows, who is awarding Tommy Young “referee of the year” 6 times?, some thoughts on Mike Rotunda, Jim Ross’s chronic overselling on commentary and thoughts on the Ross-Caudle partnership, Parv continues his intense dislike of Steve Williams from this period as Chad continues his equally intense dislike for Dusty’s awful run of form as a wrestler and booker in 1988, and Meltzer on why John Ayers was no Lyle Alzado.

PS. Would someone with an active account on Wrestling Classics post a link to this show over there? I really don't want to join another forum and don't like shilling at all. But I enjoy reading that forum on occassion. Sometimes stumble on things there I had no idea about such as this. Anyway, would be grateful if someone could drop a link there as some of those guys are the natural audience for this show.

In regards to Meltzer always comparing the ratings to Braves games their are 2 reasons for this. First off Braves games were by far the most pushed thing on the station (calling the Braves America's Team). It's kinda similar to when ECW and Roller Jam were on TNN at the same time. Roller Jam was pushed more, but ECW got better ratings. Also during baseball season wrestling would get bumped around for the game. So in essence they are bumping the higher rated show to show baseball. Secondly, it's 1988 and their is nothing really to compare wrestling ratings to. I mean for the most part TBS was showing Andy Griffith, Brady Bunch, and Leave it to Beaver or 1st run shows like the New Leave it to Beaver.

Thanks shoe for clarification that Braves did bump wrestling from its usual time slot. That makes more sense of why the ratings were compared. I know tv viewing habits were different in the 80's and obviously there was a lot less to choose from but looking back, I am just amazed anyone would watch those putrid Braves teams. The 1988 Braves team lost over 100 games and the Giants only finished 4 games over .500 so it was not like that game would be an important game especially in September.

As an 11 year old kid, I totally bought the America's Team bullshit. However, I also equated America's Team with the Cowboys. Therefore, my hatred for the Cowboys eventually extended to the Braves as well.

Really in the late 80's the media darlings in baseball were the New York Mets. The Braves were bottom feeders at the time, eventually they found their way in 1991 and by that time the Mets were falling apart organizationally/