Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Episode 26

Episode 26 of the Wrestling Culture Podcast is an Observer HoF discussion and includes lengthy Lucha talk, lots of love for wrestling magazines of old, me going on and on and on about Buddy Rose and our guest Vandal Drummond (Kurt Brown) adding great personal stories to it, Dave Musgrave putting over The Sharpe Brothers, and a whole ton of other awesomeness. Great show.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...2658&cmd=tc

I enjoyed this immensely. I like Kurt, and enjoyed the shows he did with Bix a few years ago.

Can't understand him not digging Ventura on commentary, but I'll forgive that. I reckon I was on about a 60% name recognition rate with some of the guys you were discussing here. Some proper obscura.

I also find the whole LA scene quite interesting, especially as it's the one territory that died a real death before the 80s boom, so no one really pays it much attention. Interesting that Kurt should pimp Tolos so heavily.

I also find it deeply ironic that Dave has a ballot but Dylan doesn't. I'm picturing a Twilight Zone episode where everyone in the entire world has a ballot except Dylan and his War-and-Peace-sized case for Jerry Blackwell. Episode ends with Meltzer inducting Eugene, Virgil and Spike Dudley into the Hall of Fame.

I enjoyed this immensely. I like Kurt, and enjoyed the shows he did with Bix a few years ago.

Can't understand him not digging Ventura on commentary, but I'll forgive that. I reckon I was on about a 60% name recognition rate with some of the guys you were discussing here. Some proper obscura.

I also find the whole LA scene quite interesting, especially as it's the one territory that died a real death before the 80s boom, so no one really pays it much attention. Interesting that Kurt should pimp Tolos so heavily.

I also find it deeply ironic that Dave has a ballot but Dylan doesn't. I'm picturing a Twilight Zone episode where everyone in the entire world has a ballot except Dylan and his War-and-Peace-sized case for Jerry Blackwell. Episode ends with Meltzer inducting Eugene, Virgil and Spike Dudley into the Hall of Fame.

I bet there are people who would piss off dylan more than those three

I would vote for HHH.

Dave deserves to have a ballot. He does actual research on wrestling that involves going to a library and pouring through microfilm. He regularly contributes to the Observer site. He has helped Dave with little things behind the scenes. He takes the issue seriously, researches the candidates on their own and takes seriously the findings of others. He personally is more liberal with the criteria than I am and there are people on his ballot that would not be on mine (though we agree on the great majority of candidates). But Musgrave is certainly deserving - and I would argue MORE deserving - than a shit ton of people who already had ballots.

Whether or not I deserve a ballot is largely irrelevant to me. Dave is right - I'm not connected to the Observer community at all. I've never been a subscriber (though this is sort of deceptive because I "split" cost on multiple newsletters from 95-01/02 and the Observer was one of them though it wasn't in my name). I've emailed Meltzer a handful of times, argued with him once or twice on Wrestling Classics under a screen name that is totally different from my handle everywhere else, and called into the old eyada show a couple of times. It would be very unlikely that Meltzer even knows who I am and to be honest if he does know who I am I suspect he thinks I'm a douche because I have a tendency to be very critical of things that have appeared on his site, people that have gone into the HoF, et. The funny thing is that I generally think Dave has done a great job over the years and still prefer him to any of the other major wrestling journalist by a wide margin but that's neither here nor there.

There are times I think about subscribing to the Observer, but two things keep me away - the constant MMA criticisms other fans make (for the record I think Dave should cover whatever the fuck he wants to) and the fact that I don't want Bryan Alvarez getting a penny of my money and his finances are directly tied to Dave. The first I could probably put aside. The second? Eh

Would I participate if I had a ballot? Yes. Would I take it more seriously than most voters in terms of research, thinking things through, et? Probably so. Would it be nice to have a ballot? Of course. Do I lose sleep over it? Not really. On some level it's more fun researching the "forgotten" guys anyhow