Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #38

Thanks once again to Kelly for this. I don't know if I was just in a good mood, or whether it was the great show we were talking about, or just speaking to a Canadian, but for some reason I felt like this was the most fun I've had doing one of these shows so far.

If you think GAB 89 is the best PPV of all time, let us know here. And if you don't think it is, what's your pick then? Try to include some justification for why you think it's better than GAB89, because I think it takes some beating. We are definitely reading out some comments on the Clash 8 show. Also, following your feedback here, this will mark the last time there is play-by-play on these shows.

Where the Big Boys Play #38 – Great American Bash 89

Posted Image

In the longest-ever bumper edition of Where the Big Boys Play, Chad and Parv welcome Kelly Nelson (Ricky Jackson) to talk about the Great American Bash 89: Glory Days. Among many other talking points, in this episode: Parv talks about electric kettles in America and how a proper cup of tea has milk in it, Kelly talks about growing up as a wrestling fan in Calgary, favourite Jack Tunney moments, Gordon Solie’s mythical news segment in which he talks about WWF and other promotions, Bam Bam Bigelow’s boxing career, favourite quick eliminations from Royal Rumbles, how has Teddy Long had a 20+ year career?, initial thoughts about Brian Pillman, Kelly tells us about how he used to be taught at school by Bruce Hart!, the long-awaited return of Jason Hervey, what if the Dynamic Dudes were in the Wire, Chad and Parv disagree on Luger vs. Steamboat and then on Wargames, is GAB 89 the best PPV of all time?, and Chad and Parv fail to read out any listener comments for the 4th straight show.

Just watched this show last night on VHS (I recorded this on PPV) I liked the War Games match better this time around. When I watched the show live on PPV I kept comparing it to the War Games I saw at the Inglewood Forum in 1988. I think this War Gmes is the best one Post Crockett era. My two favorites are the 87 Atlanta games and the 88 bash in L.A.

I enjoyed the podcast and am elated that the show stood up for you guys.

I won't defend the Battle Royal as it isn't a good match, but I will defend the finish. As a kid I thought the image of the two Skyscrapers standing triumphant and their showing of unity under their manager was a great presentation of a new dominant heel tag team. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 and the Skyscrapers ended up not amounting to much. However, before the injuries derailed the team, they were super over and the fans were very excited about a hot new heel team that could likely go toe-to-toe with the Road Warriors.

I too actually prefer this Funk-Flair match to the 'I Quit' Match. Nothing against the 'I Quit' match as it's absolutely fantastic and a perfect blow off to a feud. This match however, with that aftermath, is just incredible. If anyone ever bothers to spend their time making a 'Top 5 Post Matches' this would rank well for sure. If there's one note I'd add to the match it's that Funk's ring entrance is among my favorite ever.