Pro Wrestling Only

Rewatching WM 3 made me wonder

sek69

Someone on pwtorrents.net posted a torrent of WM 3 on DVD, probably from those DVDs they released in the UK of the first 4 Wrestlemanias. Seeing it again made me wonder some things:

1. What was the point of having Hercules/Billy Jack Haynes go to a Double Countout? It's not like anyone was clamoring for that feud to continue, why didn't they blow the thing off? I don't even remember this feud continuing much after WM anyway which made the finish here all the more puzzling.

2. What happened with Adrian Adonis? I remember seeing him the next couple weeks on Superstars doing interviews with a completely bald head (only half got shaved at WM) before he disappeared and turned up in the AWA even more grossly overweight than he was in the WWF. Did he get fired? Did they even have plans for him since Piper was "retired" at the time?

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

1) I'm guessing the program was meant to continue, as they did have some chain matches on house shows after, but Haynes collapsed on a plane not long after due to drug issues, and it all fell apart.

2) He wasn't happy with the gimmick he got, so I'd guess that he just lost his passion, as happens when you feel, and are, badly treated.

Guest Bruiser Chong

The Meltzer/Cornette commentary on the Wrestling Gold DVD set may answer the second question. During an Adonis match, Meltz quickly recalled what happened and said something along the lines of what HTQ just posted. He had been letting himself go for a couple years prior to WM III, but because he could still go in the ring - obviously not as well as before - a huge deal wasn't made of it. Of course, there are the stories that his increasing obesity was the reason Vince gave him the whole gay gimmick to begin with.

Billy Jack Haynes is kind of a pathetic case in many ways. He had every opportunity in every promotion to become a huge star, and screwed over pretty much every promoter in the business and managed to burn more bridges than Shane Douglas and Tom Zenk combined.

I never understood why they did that, Adonis was never chisled to begin with so why give him a gimmick like that as punishment? Seemed a bit excessive to me.

Maybe so but Adonis made the gimmick work which is more than any other gay character I have seen since

Billy Jack Haynes is kind of a pathetic case in many ways. He had every opportunity in every promotion to become a huge star, and screwed over pretty much every promoter in the business and managed to burn more bridges than Shane Douglas and Tom Zenk combined.

Can you elaborate?

You know, upon rewatching the main event, I don't think Hogan gets enough credit.

Everyone busts his balls for not being a great worker, but Andre was so broken down that Hogan pretty much worked that whole match by himself. Andre pretty much stood in the ring and let Hogan bounce off him until the finish.

I never understood why they did that, Adonis was never chisled to begin with so why give him a gimmick like that as punishment? Seemed a bit excessive to me.

Maybe so but Adonis made the gimmick work which is more than any other gay character I have seen since

Goldust??

The story with Haynes is that every promoter he worked for, from Vince to Don Owen in Portland, to Dusty and Crockett in the NWA, to various others, typically had plans to give Haynes an enormous push, and he'd either show up to shoot a big angle drunk, stoned, he'd hold the company up for money or he'd no show.

I still don't get why they didn't blow off the feud with Hercules at the biggest show the company ever had at that point and then move both guys on to better things.

Not that Haynes wouldn't have still fucked it up, but being in a neverending feud with Hercules is enough to drive anyone to go on a booze/coke binge.

Goldust??

Hey, Dustin did a great job with the Goldust character but it was more of an androgynous is-he-or-isn't-he type character. Adonis was straight-up queen.

I still don't get why they didn't blow off the feud with Hercules at the biggest show the company ever had at that point and then move both guys on to better things.

Not that Haynes wouldn't have still fucked it up, but being in a neverending feud with Hercules is enough to drive anyone to go on a booze/coke binge.

Obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to blow off every feud in the promotion in one night. I would speculate that the WWF wanted some feuds to continue past Wrestlemania, and this was one of them.