Pro Wrestling Only

Sell me on Contential...

Boon

I was watching a JCP show from 1985 the other day, and on the end of the DVD was was a Tommy Rich versus either Fire/Flame/Torch. It was in an arena and wasn't a studio taped match as I would expect from a southern terrority. The crowd was hotter than hot. Now I've picked some discs up from Khawk in a trade before, but to be honest where do I start? What matches, angles, years? Should I look at? It's a promotion that doesn't get much coverage?

• 2 months later...

I've been wanting to get my hands on the Continental/East TN/Knoxville stuff from the 80s for years. Seems like there's just not much out there...

There is a larger size set of discs from the 80's that is all over the place but mostly into the second half and the Continental years that has all kinds of good stuff on it from Continental on it...

Also varous TV's out there...

I dont know how much other stuff..but that is what know of / have from that era...

Also some from the 70's and early 80's in another GOLDMINE Series of sets....I dont know a ton about them...

Oh, and as for selling Boon on it....watch it!! How's that for selling!!!

There's a 44 disc set of Continental/South Eastern. It's mostly from 85-on with a little bit from 1984. Linden Walker is probably the man to contact on Continental stuff: http://www.lindenwalker.com/Page_3.html

Before that, there's a few discs from 1980 or 1981 but that's about it.

The main stars of Continental were Bob Armstrong, Austin Idol, Mr. Olympia and The Stud Stable/Fullers with Robert Fuller, Ron Fuller and Jimmy Golden. Add in Wendell Cooley as well.

Moving down the card, there was a ton of stuff with Johnny Rich and the other Armstrong brothers, The Nightmares, Adrian Street, Lord Humongous, Brickhouse Brown and others.

I reviewed some Continental/South Eastern here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/so...-wrestling.html - This may have the best promo's of any show I've ever seen and is from December 1984 right before the switch to Continental

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/co...stling-vol.html - One of the first shows of The Continental Era

What I really like about Continental is that it has a down home feel. Next to Memphis, it was one of the last shows to really stick to territorial style TV. Everyone comes across as pretty real. Bob Armstrong is like the father you wish you had and The Fuller's are like the nasty neighbors that constantly kick sand in your face. If you don't like Bob or The Fuller's though, this promotion isn't for you. For the most part, it's them and then there's everyone else. I cannot believe though that anyone could possibly hate Bob Armstrong. He is really one of the last great faces.

The angles as KrisZ mentioned are all pretty good with DWB/Pritchard being must see. My favorite out of what I watched was with The Bullet vs Ron Fuller. Fuller said he was finally going to unmask the Bullet to get him exposed and fired as Bob Armstrong and he does. HOWEVER, Gordon Solie tells the camera's to cut right when he loses the mask, so nobody sees him unmasked, therefore, The Bullet stays in Continental. The Fuller's flip out as Gordon revels in it.

Continental/Southeastern got little coverage mostly because of their own doing. IIRC, they didn't let magazines/photographers in so few talked about them. It was also Southern and they didn't have a major TV deal.