Pro Wrestling Only

Slammiversary

Superstar Sleeze

Hey yo everybody, I know we have some guys in the Boston Metro area, I don't know if anybody else is attending, but I won tickets through the local classic rock station for knowing that Hogan's name in Rocky III was Thunderlips. Talk about a meatball. I am a big enough AJ Styles fan that I am going with my brother. Unfortunately, due to a lot of stuff this week was not able to watch as much AJ as I wanted. I did watch about 5 weeks of Impact to get a feel of what I was to expect. I feel like the in-ring quality has really taken a nose dive and is nowhere near as good as the WWE anymore. Aries and Styles are the only guys working at a truly high level. Friggin Samoa Joe is feuding with Midcard Mafia's B-Team. I think of all of Angle's opponents in TNA, AJ is his best, but I should re-watch the Samoa Joe matches again so I am hoping that salvages the show.

I will probably post a review when I get a home or tomorrow. My brother and I love live wrestling no matter how shitty it is. We still talk fondly of a SD! taping where the only notable event was the Birth of "Dashing" Cody Rhodes. Plus Sting main evented the very first live wrestling show I went to WCW's 1998 Boston Brawl. The more things change...

God help me I'm watching this.

I have no beef with Chris Sabin, but that first match was one of the more egregious interpretive dance routines I can recall seeing. I also thought it was insane to have Sabin work that match given his history and didn't see how he got busted open. I assume Suicide is now being played by TJP.

Hogan promo/angle with Aces and Eights just now was fucking hilarious for all the wrong reasons

Six-man was perfectly watchable for a match with terrible heel team. I mean it wasn't any good, but it should have been way worse. I like how every Samoa Joe match has a thirty or forty second stretch where you remember he was once one of the two or three best guys on Earth and then you just sort of feel sad.

No shit Dylan, I almost thought about piggybacking on Chikara and watching and the title of the blog was going to be:

God help me, I'm watching this.

Ha!

Okay I am watching Sam Shaw v. Jay Bradley on ppv right now.

I mean look, I have nothing against Bradley, guy works hard, is pretty good and has a decent look aside from terrible hair. But how the fuck is Sam Shaw employed even on short term basis by a major promotion? This will sound like typical Dylan troll, but Shaw is not even a top thirty South Ga/North Fl indie guy. Not even close really.

I have watched a lot of 2013 indie Gunner to the point where I would rate him above anyone else in this match so far this year....but then I have been avoiding TNA so maybe I missed something decent. Anyhow this four way tag had it's moments if you could get over the stupidity of the first elimination. I thought Aries and Chavo looked sharp and I suspect the Storm/Gunner team could be really good in a fantasy world where they won't work in TNA

I love that angry/Crow Sting version of AJ just looks like a rich kid, living off his dad's trust fund, who stays out late at the bar and then bums it around the golf course every day. I have no clue who the fuck thought it was a good idea to build this match around Kurt Angle knee injury, but man. AJ was working hard at first, but this match was Anglerific as hell and I don't understand the point of Angle winning. Yuck

Last Knockout Standing match was totally psychotic. I don't know what it says about TNA that match involving Gail Kim and Drew Mac's literally insane ex is the clear match of the night up to this point, but it really was. Several crazy, dangerous bumps and an absolutely nuts finish.

Agree with Dylan.

Either have way too much going on to take those risks but total career match for Taryn here.

Really pissed at TNA as they had a chance to redo finish of Chikara ppv finish, even teased it and then didn't do it. That would have been awesome as you would have then had the greatness of Chikara fetishists extolling the virtues of one as the greatest thing ever, while also shitting on the TNAness of the other. Oh well. Bully v. Sting was actually a pretty good brawl up until the finish of chaos. I would have preferred Sting sell the piledrivers more, but it was a solid escalating match even with the spot where the stage hand forgot to put the right weapon under the ring and Bully had to run to the back to get a chair. The bit with the ring planks being exposed was actually a cool idea. Shame it was wasted with that finish. Sting looked pretty old in this I thought, especially on offense

I tuned in at the women's match and thought what I saw was pretty good. I've never actually watched a TNA PPV live, just assorted matches via YouTube. I was very impressed with the video production after seeing this company show up on Botchamania videos time after time.

I thought exposing the ring boards for the piledriver was a cool idea.

When my dad was alive and we'd watch wrestling when weapons became involved he'd ask, "Why doesn't one of them just bring a gun to the ring and shoot the other guy?" When Bully Ray pulled out his knife I imagined my dad asking, "Why doesn't he just stab Sting since it's no holds barred?"

After the first 5 matches, I was shocked how awful the card. I only thought the six-man was decent of those first five matches and that was because they worked a bare bones fundamentals based match that suited the babyfaces well. Then Holy Shit, did the women deliver. I was watching Velvet Sky the other week and struck me how shitty she was at she moved in the ring and I expected the same from Taryn. At first, I was like at least she moves decent. Then all of sudden they were busting out all these big spots that actually looked violent as opposed the to gymnastics tumbling routine that was the opener. The bump Gail Kim took off the steel chair and spinning out onto the floor was the wicked. Hell, the single leg trip on the ramp by Gail looked sick before they did the Diamond Cutter off the ramp, which had me marking. Easily the best women's match I have ever match from TNA or WWE (I am not exactly a fan of women's wrestling so I maybe forgetting an obvious contender).

I liked AJ/Angle well enough, but I think it was only on par with the women if that. It was on course to easily be better until Angle decided to take over. AJ was friggin awesome at the beginning. He was laying everything so well and his strikes look so much better than the rest of the roster. The dropkick to the outside and his new single leg crab submission looked wicked. Of course, Angle blew off the knee psychology and did his usual match, which I don't hate, but it was disappointing because they were working something different before Angle overdrive kicked in. AJ still had some nice bumps and work to make it interesting.

Sting/Bully was way better than I thought it was going to be. They worked a smart match and the exposing the ring wood was a really cool spot to me. Has anyone ever done that? The overbooking nonsense was lame and I think the piledriver on the wood should have been the finish.

Three matches saved the card and my brother and I had an excellent time. We got our running gag of the night immediately as we were finding our seats they were hocking Dixie Carter action figures. We laughed so hard at the thought of someone actually buying that thing.

Since I can't bring myself to watch Impact, how has TJP been as Suicide so far? I tend to prefer his masked work (especially in more of a "character" like El Bombero) since he's better at broad body language than facial expressions.

Knowing how hard trying to get a job in a national promotion has been on him financially (he ended up homeless when he went to FCW), I hope was able to swing a fairly favorable deal at least WRT control over his bookings.

Definitely will check this show out for the women's match at least.

When my dad was alive and we'd watch wrestling when weapons became involved he'd ask, "Why doesn't one of them just bring a gun to the ring and shoot the other guy?" When Bully Ray pulled out his knife I imagined my dad asking, "Why doesn't he just stab Sting since it's no holds barred?"

Because he'd be arrested for murder?