Pro Wrestling Only

Payback 2013

anarchistxx

- Can't believe Sheamus is only working pre shows now, he certainly is due a heel turn or something to make the fans give a fuck again

- Opener was better than it had any right to be, the great crowd helped and the finish was really cool

- Divas match was so-so

- Ambrose is getting cheered like crazy

Ziggler/Del Rio was weird. Most of the match was really sloppy and incoherent, but I quite liked the story and those kicks were nasty, the last five minutes or so were very compelling considering I don't care about either guy. If they were working it as a double turn match they did a fantastic job, helped by the solidly pro-Ziggler crowd.

Not sure about the logic of a title change, unless Ziggler is in the doghouse with management or injured.

What's the story on RVD's return? How'd it happen?

They just randomly showed a video package hyping his return, it came on without any announcement or anything.

Punk/Jericho was pretty standard stuff, didn't really hold my interest. Seemed like both men were trying for a good match, but it still felt a little by the numbers.

Del Rio's face turn was brutally murdered because of the Swagger stuff. He started off hot after the Show feud, but they just butchered him to death with the direction they went. Real shame because he's been a very good worker this year largely because of changes he's made to work face. I can't envision any scenario where he will half the worker as a heel that he has been as a face. Also while I know Ziggler is a beloved dude for many, he seems like a transparently awful face on paper.

Del Rio's face turn was brutally murdered because of the Swagger stuff. He started off hot after the Show feud, but they just butchered him to death with the direction they went. Real shame because he's been a very good worker this year largely because of changes he's made to work face. I can't envision any scenario where he will half the worker as a heel that he has been as a face. Also while I know Ziggler is a beloved dude for many, he seems like a transparently awful face on paper.

He was so over around January/February. There was the match against Ziggler (I think) on Main Event around that time when the crowd was going insane for him (and Ricardo). Yeah as soon as they started the Swagger stuff it was a slow death.

and Dave called Punk/Jericho a near MOTY

Daniel Bryan is the best wrestler in the world right now, by a long distance. So exciting to watch, best hot tag in the business and one of the best face in perils too. He is ridiculously over now, they are complete cretins if they turn him heel. Fantastic match, best on the show.

Cesaro is a better wrestler than Bryan right now, but Bryan has been booked in a place where he gets more face time and has a bigger impact.

Cesaro is a better wrestler than Bryan right now, but Bryan has been booked in a place where he gets more face time and has a bigger impact.

Nah, no way. In ring you could make a tenuous argument that Cesaro runs him slightly close, but as an overall worker taking in character work, promos, charisma, getting yourself over, presence and excitement Bryan beats him hands down. DB is also a ton more versatile, he can play any role and make it believable. He can do comedy, drama, fired up ace, face in peril, high flyer, technical worker, brawler. Cesaro is more limited from what I've seen of his work over the years.

I think people like him because he works that believable, interesting style that Finlay and others worked, but it is pretty fanciful to say he is in Bryan's league right now.

Punk/Jericho wasn't anything like a match of the year, if only because it was so obviously laid out like something meant to resemble a 'great match'. That lost it any spontaneity, it was all fairly predictable. Reminded me a lot of something like Owen/HBK from In Your House early in 1996 - fun match where both guys got their stuff in, nothing more.

This seems strange with Cena as champion but with all the relatively new faces getting spots now the company seems rejuvenated to a degree. They are doing double turns, slow build turns, a wacky soap opera angle and bringing back name faces. I'm not saying it will all work but RAW has been so boring lately that it could ignite a flicker of fire into the product for the summer months

Nah, no way. In ring you could make a tenuous argument that Cesaro runs him slightly close, but as an overall worker taking in character work, promos, charisma, getting yourself over, presence and excitement Bryan beats him hands down. DB is also a ton more versatile, he can play any role and make it believable. He can do comedy, drama, fired up ace, face in peril, high flyer, technical worker, brawler. Cesaro is more limited from what I've seen of his work over the years.

I think people like him because he works that believable, interesting style that Finlay and others worked, but it is pretty fanciful to say he is in Bryan's league right now.

Punk/Jericho wasn't anything like a match of the year, if only because it was so obviously laid out like something meant to resemble a 'great match'. That lost it any spontaneity, it was all fairly predictable. Reminded me a lot of something like Owen/HBK from In Your House early in 1996 - fun match where both guys got their stuff in, nothing more.

I'm not talking about over the years and in general I was indifferent at best towards Claudio as an indie guy. But this year, in ring, he's better than Bryan. Bryan has had a hot angle behind him and has run with it to his credit. But getting a rush hot tag, where he gets to hit crazy offense for three minutes and then take one big bump is not even in the same universe as carrying Kofi Kingston to a great 20-25 minute match. Bryan is a better over all act for sure and I have no doubt once he starts working more singles he could (and perhaps will) be right there with Cesaro. But Cesaro has been better in the ring this year.