Pro Wrestling Only

WO News and Notes

goodhelmet

First off, This week's Observer starts off with 4 pages dedicated to Shinya Hashimoto. You can expect this to be in the next Tributes book. If I can ever figure out how to scan these friggin things, I'll post the articles.

WWE news:

Different reasonsTrips left:

--- The storyline reason HHH isn't around is that he is injured from HIAC and needs to take time off to heal.

---He did not like the plans for him (including a match against Flair at Summerslam), with the other stars around him taken care of, he felt it was better to take a break. It is likely Trips did not want to work the angle with Flair. It was designed because Trips needed a win after three straight losses to Batista, and it is no big deal to have Ric Flair lose to put Trips over.

--- HHH also realized, with Hogan back, that was the one person he couldn't compete with when it came to star power and dominating the show. Plus, there is no upside for Trips to work with Hogan when the HBK match is the "dream match".

Matt Hardy

--- Meltz recaps what we already know.

--- The deal was actually put together in Mid-June for him to return. So, anything after the 6/20 show that we posted from his website or anywhere else was definitely a work.

Morale among wrestlers

--- Everyone understands the roster cuts but it was insult to injury by signing Lesnar and then cutting 19 wrestlers. One wrestler said "This has killed morale more than anything I've seen since the welcome mat for the NWO." However, Meltz points out that McMahon will hire anyone back, regardless of what they have done in the past if he thinks they will make him money.

Meltz defends the actions of the Fed from a business standpoint:

--- On Lesnar, he says, in theory more top names means more business overall.

---They were carrying more wrestlers than needed; most of the cuts made sense; underneath talent should be budgeted.

---The fact is that the wrestlers were warned.

Roster Cuts:

Dudleys:

--- The Dudleys contracts were coming due. They were constantly told creative had no ideas for them which is ironic since Vince told Johnny Ace he wanted more tag teams.

--- Meltz says there was alot of controversy bringing in Axl and Balls for the slot when they are a far worse team than the Dudleys.

--- Bubba rubbed Stephanie the wrong way when it got back to her he was complaining that the writing staff had nothing for them.

Matt Morgan:

--- A chock considering his size but the stuttering gimmick killed him dead and he simply was not a good worker. He had developed a reputation as a "know-it-all" when people tried to give him advice on improving. Meltz said the stuttering gimmick was designed for failure esp. since Morgan's strongest asset was his promo ability. After comparing Morgan to Batista, Meltz said it was never clearer that the difference in being fired and in being a top guy is timing and luck.

Charlie Haas:

---Meltz says this is a hard one to justify. He was floundering after the WGTT broke upbut that he has still been putting on good matches with Holly and MNM. Haas was a professional, worked hard and not a problem. To put it in perspective, Meltz finds it boggling that he would be considered behind names such as Nova, Greneir, Scotty2Hotty, Rene Dupree and the Hearththrobs.

More absurdity on the Hassan-Taker debacle:

--- Meltzer points out that they were switching gears on the Hassan character. The original plan was to have the 5 guys dressed as terrorists (vaal Venis, Paul Birchall, Mike Hettinga, and todd and Mike Shane) to continue their roles through the summer!?!? Due to the controversy, that was obvioulsy dropped.

---WWE claimed that there was no way they could altered the tape at such a late date afte rthe London bombings occurred. Meltz points out that this does not explain why they were able to do so in foreign markets, have two versions of Velocity ready (where foreign versions omitted then angle completely) and that they still put the video on their website the day of the bombings.

---A UPN spokesmen says that the network had the option to edit the angle but didn't feel it was necessary. After the bad press, then the company asked that they keep Hassan off air.

--- On Tucker Carlson's show, carlson and Max Kellerman debated the issue. Carlson saiud wrestling had always used villains like Nazis and Russians and likened the modern-day villain to radical Islamic extremists. Kellerman repsonded by saying that anything that trivialized terorism was inappropriate and terrorists should not be treated as caricatures. He said this would be he equivalent of using Nazis in wrestling during the height of WW2. Kellerman said, "Nikolai Volkoff wrestled during the Gorbachev era of the Cold War. Gorbachev was a guy who could talk reasonably with Ronald Reagan. This is not the same thing."

Interesting Notes on Jim Cornette's firing:

--- The move, in recent months, was seen more as a "when" than an "if". The altercation with the student was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

--- Heyman was asked to be a stop-gap booker, not a permanent replacement. When they tried Tommy dremaer the last time Cornette was gone, he nearly ran the company into the ground.

---While many see putting Heyman in as an affront to Cornette, Meltz feels that if Cornette were to pick a successor, it would be Heyman himself.

---Previously, Cornette never complained about Heyman coming in as an interview coach and when WWE business was declining due to bad creative, when Heyman took over booking for SD!, Cornette referred to Heyman as "the last hope".

--- (Just read about the Boogeyman that Loss posted a picture of)

--- The Boogeyman was the idea of creative, not Jim Cornette's. When he was brought to OVW, the idea was that Cornette wanted him to be genuinely scay, not a cartoon character. Cornette wanted to get him over by saying that wrestlers usually are exaggerated characters of themsleves to get themselves over (like Flair adn Austin) and claimed that Martin Wright really believed he was the Boogeyman and had psychological problems.

---On one show, Wright was supposed to be hiding under the ring, come out and beat up some jobbers and cut a scary promo. Well unbeknownst to Cornette, creative told Wright it would be better if he came out fromthe ring wearing antlers. Well, the antlers killed the Boogeyman's debut. Well, the intention was that after the promo, he would leave through the crowd and Cornette had some plants in the audience who were supposed to act scared. Well, one plant, Anthony Carelli, a guy ot under WWE contract and paying to attend Danny Davis's swrestling school, laughed instead of playing his scared audience member role. Witnesses to this say that Carelli was out of line.

---Backstage, Cornette laid into Carelli and Carelli claimed he was never instructed to act scared but that Carelli still should not have broke kayfabe on camera so Cornette gave one of his real-life promos that he has given in the past on Jackie Miles and Kevin Fertig.

---The slap was described as a working slap to get his attention (whatever that means) and Carelli acted like he was going to fight back. Cornette cut another promo on him after that and said he was lucky Wright didn't kick his ass even though Cornette did not know that Carelli has a legit shooter background.

---Then Cornette slapped the kid 10-20 times in the face!!!!! Carelli just took it even though he has a background in judo and amateur wrestling.

--- Nobody defended Cornette's actions after the fact but there is clearly a double standard when it comes to outbursts. Meltz claims that Cornette's outburst was mild compared to Bob Holly roughing up Matt Cappotelli and Rene Dupree (the latter which he was punished, but not fired for) and JBL-Meanie. However, Meltz claims that the "others have done worse" argument is not justified and that Cornette was already on thin ice and should have been let go.

--- There had been problems in OVW for some time. PArt of the reason, according to Tom Pritchard, is that Corentte would defend OVW while Connecticut would knock it. Since so much of the talent was so green, they weren't ready for television so the Fed felt that the training in OVW wasn't good enough. However, in every case that the Fed felt a wrestler was deemed too green after going to the WWE, Corentte and Davis had already told the WWE that they were not ready but were ignored.

---Meltz uses Chris Masters as the perfect example. Masters was intended to be the next Lex Luger. Before being brought up he had just recently been able to do short tag matches wih the right foes. Since he was only 21, Corentte fel he still needed 3-4 years of training before being brought up and he would still only be 25 and be a star in the making. Instead, the fed sent him to TV almost immediately where he has not gotten over while creative debatedon whether he should be the next Lex Luger or the next Rick Rude.

---A few years ago, Cornette adn Davis rated the talent based on who would be ready for TV. The bottom three were Mark Jindrak, Orlando Jordan and Jackie Gayda, all three who were called up before being ready.

Hopefully some more people will respond soon, as it's only about three hours since it was posted. The politics with HHH is very interesting, although I wish there was less speculation (both from Meltzer and Keller) and more of a stated reason why he's gone and less of a plausible one. I guess if they don't know, they don't know, but if that's the case, I'd rather them just say they don't know.

And I do agree that Masters was called up too early, but why do they even offer developmental deals to guys that young? A CM Punk or Samoa Joe has to pay his dues and take whatever dates he can find before impressing people on the indy scene and getting his name out, but the door seems open from day one if you're over 6 feet tall and more than 240 lbs.

Guest KingPK

Tucker Carlson and Max Kellerman debating? Yeesh.

So what's Flair doing now? Nothing? Batista's on SD, so they can't do anything with him now. Way to leave your "idol" and lap boy in the lurch there, Trips.

Gee, you'd think that it would be NORMAL and UNDERSTANDIBLE to complain when the writing staff can't do anything for you. Not in Steffie's world, I guess.

All that's needed to say about Hassan-Taker has been said already. I REALLY hope he isn't going for the title at SummerSlam, because that feud will just destroy Batista.

On one show, Wright was supposed to be hiding under the ring, come out and beat up some jobbers and cut a scary promo. Well unbeknownst to Cornette, creative told Wright it would be better if he came out fromthe ring wearing antlers. Well, the antlers killed the Boogeyman's debut.

Seriously, ANTLERS?

Masters isn't all that bad on the stick, but he has to have SOME talent to be able to work a match that's A) More than 5 minutes and B) Not completely a carry job by his opponent. If the guy's 21, he's got PLENTY of time to improve and be something decent. Now his wrestling career might be completely in the toilet if they give up on him.

Guest MJHimJfadeaway23

So what exactly is going to change from now until after SummerSlam for Triple H to comeback? I guess Hogan will be gone, but there still isn't a top flight face for him to face before he goes against John Cena. I'd like to see a Triple H/Angle feud when he comes back, but I'm not sure if they really want Angle to be a face now. Quiet frankly he's the only other person on RAW that has any kinda credibility as a top guy anymore aside from Cena, HHH and Shawn Michaels. And we've already done the latter one.

Guest WidowsPeak

I don't really post much here, but I just wanted to say thank you for posting some news from WON because I never get to read it or anything. Your efforts are appreciated.

Guest EastCoastJ

Thanks a TON for posting this. It is greatly appreciated, I don't have the cash for the Observer lately so it's great to get a chance to see what Dave is reporting. Thanks times a thousand.

To elaborate on the HHH/Ric Flair thing, I heard that it wasn't that HHH was opposed to working with Ric Flair at SummerSlam or thought it was beneath him, he just apparently learned from the Randy Orton thing and realized that as long as the tension between he and Flair has been building, the build to a feud between the two should burn a little slower. I'm ecstatic that it isn't happening, because I can't bear to see Ric Flair turned babyface, put into the biggest program he has been in as a single in years and then be immediately buried to get HHH a much needed win. I would rather see HHH go over Hogan than Flair at this point.

I love reading about Jim Cornette in a WWE controlled OVW, it's like a classic fish out of water comedy with the traditionalist Cornette being pitched this absurd idea about The Boogeyman, and when Cornette finally gives in and the time has come to do it, WWE brass waves their finger and says "one more thing", and then hands The Boogeyman his antlers (cue laughtrack).

Thanks a ton again for posting this.

It's been said a million times, but who the fuck thinks this crap like having someone wear antlers would EVER work?

I mean, it didn't work the FIRST time they tried it:

Posted Image

It's 2005, cartoon gimmicks just don't fly anymore.

Guest teke184

It's been said a million times, but who the fuck thinks this crap like having someone wear antlers would EVER work?

I mean, it didn't work the FIRST time they tried it:

Posted Image

It's 2005, cartoon gimmicks just don't fly anymore.

Somebody wake up Vince... I think he thinks it's 1985 again, between the cartoon bullshit and Hogan being around.

Guest CanadianChick

--- Bubba rubbed Stephanie the wrong way when it got back to her he was complaining that the writing staff had nothing for them.

I don't really like the Dudleys, but reading stuff like this makes me roll my eyes. Of course a tag wrestler would be frustrated that creative doesn't have anything for them when the company needs tag teams! Is Steph so sensitive that she can't handle a little critique? Man, no wonder the company is filled with yes-men.

Not to mention the tired company line of workers being asked to go to creative if they have any ideas for their character.

Yeah, do that, and if you end up thinking of something better than creative could you run the risk of getting cut because you rub someone the wrong way.

So basically HHH didn't want to pull the trigger on the Flair turn they always jerk the fans around with, and decided to lose his smile for a couple months.

Tremendous.

Indeed.

I mean, how many times have we seen that fake "Oh my god, Flair's turing on HHH!!!!.....oh wait he's not, it's a swerve" storyline?

I don't think Flair has enough left to really do a feud, but it's something fans have clearly wanted for a long time, and every time they screw over fans with the swerve they decrease interest and potential to draw money.

Sometimes I wonder how this promotion still exists.

Anyway, the less HHH the better.

Meltz said the following and it sums up the company right now even though he was referring to the JBL-Meanie segment from the 7/7 SD!:

As a fan watching, I tried to put myself into Joe Average's position, and this was like watching WCW announcers where there is a story and they aren't allowed to talk about it and you just get frustrated because nothing is making sense.... "I really wished a few people in power read "Death of WCW, " this week because they fell into eight different WCW traps in this angle alone.

WWE Performers over 40:

Steve Austin (Steve Williams) 40

Eric Bischoff 48

Boogey Man (Martin Wright) 41

Booker T (Booker Huffman) 40

Ric Flair (Richard Fleihr) 56

Hulk Hogan (Terry Bollea) 51

Bob Holly (Rob Howard) 42

Ivory (Lisa Moretti) 42

Jerry Lawler 55

Teddy Long 49

Roddy Piper (Roderick Tombs) 51

William Regal (Darren Matthews) 40

Jim Ross 54

Sgt. Slaughter (Robert Remus) 56

Al Snow (Allen Sarven) 41

Undertaker (Mark Calaway) 43

Guest teke184

Steve Austin (Steve Williams) 40

He's ONLY 40? Damn... If Owen hadn't broken his neck in 97, Austin would still be on top if he and Vince hadn't killed each other by then.

Bob Holly (Rob Howard) 42

Yet another strike against this moron.

Ivory (Lisa Moretti) 42

She doesn't look it, despite being around since the GLOW days.

Jerry Lawler 55

And he acts more like a dirty 65-year old

Roddy Piper (Roderick Tombs) 51

He looks like a beached whale at this point and is incoherent... why are they keeping him around?

Al Snow (Allen Sarven) 41

And yet if they'd pushed him after Tough Enough 1, he could actually be a decent star right now instead of an OVW trainer.

Undertaker (Mark Calaway) 43

Another guy who hasn't aged well... The biker getup makes him seem like he's in a midlife crisis.

Totally overlooked because of the WWE stuff...

Puerto Rico (More proof that wrestling is scummy)

--- On 7/16, 17 years to the weekend of Brody's death, the WWC held the Bruiser Brody Memorial cup... in the same building he was murdered in!!!!

--- The man paying tribute to him is the same man who is alleged to have hidden the murder weapon. ( Is this Carlos Colon? )

NOAH

---Kenta Kobashi watch: Look for him in the States on 9/24 for Harley Race's WLW, on 10/01 in New York for ROH, and attempts tp book him for 10/7 and 10/8 for FIP in Florida.

Worst Card Ever:

--- the Wrestle Reunion show on 8/27 features this lineup...

- DDP vs. Larry Zbyszko w/ Bruno as guest referee. If larry wins he gets 5 minutes with Bruno after the match.

- The Funk Bros. and Mick Foley (w/ Bobby Heenan) vs. Condrey, Eaton, and Lane (w/ Cornette)

- Don and Joe Muraco vs. Bob and Brad Armstrong

- Greg Valentine vs. Tito Santana

- IVAN KOLOFF vs. DOMINIC DENUCCI

- BG James & Ron Killings vs. The Fantastics vs. The Backseat Boys vs. Gene Ligon & David Isley

- Wendy Richter, George South Jr. and the Patriot (Tom Brandy) vs. Amy Love, DC drake and Gary Royal

- Elimination match: Dusty Rhodes, Missing Link, Tom Pritchard and Dlo Brown vs. Steve Corino, Test, Samu and Alofa

- Steve Williams vs. Mike Kaluha (Doc's first match back after cancer)

Guest Some Guy

The Bubba and Steph thing is absurd. If I was a big star for a company (albeit very stale) and taken off TV for months and told that creative has nothing for me, then I would be pissed as well. There are a ton of things that could be done with the Dudleyz, first and foremore using them to put over young teams (assuming they decide to have a tag division again).

The PR/Brody thing is sickening.

I didn't realize that Holly was that old. Why the hell is he still employed?

GH, thanks for posting this stuff.

Now that I think about it, a Dudleys/MNM feud could have been pretty great, it would at least create some good Southern tag team matches, and when MNM wins it puts them over huge.

- DDP vs. Larry Zbyszko w/ Bruno as guest referee. If larry wins he gets 5 minutes with Bruno after the match.

- The Funk Bros. and Mick Foley (w/ Bobby Heenan) vs. Condrey, Eaton, and Lane (w/ Cornette)

- Don and Joe Muraco vs. Bob and Brad Armstrong

- Greg Valentine vs. Tito Santana

- IVAN KOLOFF vs. DOMINIC DENUCCI

- BG James & Ron Killings vs. The Fantastics vs. The Backseat Boys vs. Gene Ligon & David Isley

- Wendy Richter, George South Jr. and the Patriot (Tom Brandy) vs. Amy Love, DC drake and Gary Royal

- Elimination match: Dusty Rhodes, Missing Link, Tom Pritchard and Dlo Brown vs. Steve Corino, Test, Samu and Alofa

- Steve Williams vs. Mike Kaluha (Doc's first match back after cancer)

Let's get this straight. On one card, we have a live Sammartino appearance, Terry Funk and Mick Foley teaming up, a Wendi Richter sighting, and Steve Williams' miraculous return?

I'd want to see that.