Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-08-02-FMW] Masato Tanaka vs W*ING Kanemura (No Rope Explosive Electrified Barbed Wire Death)

Loss

• 1 month later...

I liked this. Give them credit for working a sound wrestling match (with limb work!) in the middle of all of this. Very reminiscent of the simple and effective Onita matches earlier in the decade. This relied a lot more on psychology and intensity than the explosions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is the big singles for some of the multi mans we have seen so far. Interested to see how Tanaka performs on this big singles stage. The atmosphere for this match was really cool with seeing some headlights from cars and the sightlines in the pitch dark arena. I really liked the work to this and the build up to the first electrified spot and Wing taking it for the first time. Good finish too that was dramatic. Probably my favorite FMW match of 1997 so far not involving females.

• 1 year later...

I had high expectations for these two to come through in a singles match after their work dominating 6-mans, and they didn't disappoint. They smartly worked around the explosions and made you wait for them, and they gave us a ton of dramatic kickouts but never crossed the line into self-indulgence. Tanaka doesn't have Onita's presence and charisma, but he's not far off in terms of fired-up comebacks and has way more athletic talent at this stage--it's a fairly even trade-off.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-08-02-FMW] Masato Tanaka vs W*ING Kanemura (No Rope Explosive Electrified Barbed Wire Death)