Pro Wrestling Only

Favorite Wrestling Video Games

That CD had a lot of wacky games: a WAR game with Tenryu and a bunch of clones (can only remember a Muta clone)

If this is the WAR game I played it was also really disappointing. The top and bottom thirds of the screen just had closeups of the wrestlers and only the middle third featured the actual gameplay which was my biggest problem with it.

Not a great game by any stretch but speaking of really weird Japanese games there is a Pancrase game for the Super Nintendo that is pretty much the opposite of Pancrase. It features wacky masked fighters as well as Street Fighter rejects, you fight in strange locations (out on the street or on a bridge in the mountains), and if I'm recalling this correctly, Funaki is the only actual Pancrase fighter in the game.

Has anyone ever played the RINGS game for the Playstation?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and one that I really loved called Ikkyu Pro Wrestling where you had exploding matches and all kinds of good stuff.

Jikkyu Power Pro Wrestling? I actually wrote a partial, "enough to get you through the menus" FAQ for this like a million years ago.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/571482-jikkyo...g-96/faqs/27975

Has anyone ever played the RINGS game for the Playstation?

Briefly years ago, but I don't remember anything about it to be honest.

and one that I really loved called Ikkyu Pro Wrestling where you had exploding matches and all kinds of good stuff.

Jikkyu Power Pro Wrestling? I actually wrote a partial, "enough to get you through the menus" FAQ for this like a million years ago.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/571482-jikkyo...g-96/faqs/27975

Yeah, that was it! I remember your guide too, pretty sure I had it printed out at some point though if my memory is right by 2004 I wasn't really playing that game at all except for maybe a week long "nostalgia run" or so. That game was pretty good once you had it figured out.

I wish the CPU had been harder as even on hard it is really too easy to get a ton of mileage out of. But the deathmatch mode is ridiculously satisfying, having Fake Misawa wrestle Fake Hulk Hogan with exploding boards. And it was a pretty decent multiplayer experience with a buddy of mine.

At some point I should have added a list to that FAQ just pointing out who everyone was, though I'm sure to most watchers of Japanese wrestling in the 1990's that 90% were kind of obvious.

I was a fan of WWF growing up in the early 90s, but abandoned it in the middle of the decade as I grew out of it. And then...friends had WCW vs. NWO: World Tour and I was sucked back in during the late spring of '98, right as the boom hit and for better or worse, I was a mainstream wrestling fan for the next few years (though quickly moved to WWF).

There was a PS1 or Dreamcast WWF game in 99-00 with a good create a wrestler feature that we put some time into during freshman year of college. Created a wrestler for most people on the floor and automated a royal rumble was the big highlight.

I loved VPW 1 and 2. The engine was perfect. I remember playing VPW 1 at my buddies college apartment that was an absolute shithole over during summer session at the University of Dayton where we had a series of matches between Misawa/Kobashi vs. Kawada/Taue that would go between 45 and 55 minutes regularly. It was insane how intensely into it we would get because of all the head drops and almost near falls. It would be an emotional rush when you won and a drain when you would lose.

I'd love to have an N64 again just to play those game again!

Did anyone else think Tecmo Wrestling for the original Nintendo was underrated? I also remember my jaw dropping the first time I saw Main Event Wrestling at the arcade. And I remember playing a fooball sim game at my same buddies parents house called Front Page Football that we would kill hours on weekends playing.

Posted Image

Thank you. I love the AKI N64 version of games for WCW, WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy. Definitely some of my favorites. But the AJPW version game was great also as it had the super finishers too. The super long battle royals with 40 guys in those games were just awesome. You were talking aver an hour of wrestling time to finish those things.

Big fan of Royal Rumble on Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis and running into the refs was always fun. I traded a Patrick Roy hockey card just to rent this from my buddy for two weeks. He was such an asshole but loved those games and was finally able to pick them up. WWF Raw on Sega was a big favorite of my buddies and I as we had some great four player action with that.

Saturday Night Slam Masters was another great four player game. There was a character named Jumbo which had a bullshit repeated stomp that led to a ban similar to Odd Job in Goldeneye for N64.

The Smackdown games on Playstation had some good match variations but never felt they had the same fun as the N64 games. Pro Wrestling Fire is fantastic if you love your Puro guys as had tons of wrestlers and plenty of match types.

I was a fan of WWF growing up in the early 90s, but abandoned it in the middle of the decade as I grew out of it. And then...friends had WCW vs. NWO: World Tour and I was sucked back in during the late spring of '98, right as the boom hit and for better or worse, I was a mainstream wrestling fan for the next few years (though quickly moved to WWF).

There was a PS1 or Dreamcast WWF game in 99-00 with a good create a wrestler feature that we put some time into during freshman year of college. Created a wrestler for most people on the floor and automated a royal rumble was the big highlight.

Dreamcast had the awful Royal Rumble game, which was fun for about 2 minutes. It looked good at the time (graphics and whatnot) bu the roster was out of date by the time of release, it was an arcade based game, and was.... shit.

Somebody mentioned WCW World Tour above -that game was a revelation at the time. No wrestling game had ever had such depth before and it was pretty fucking special for that reason. At the same time, WarZone came along which also ticked the boxes as being something special, but again, the roster was somewhat out dated by the time of release. I imagie some kid picking it up and being like, "WHo the hell are Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart?"

Somebody mentioned WCW World Tour above -that game was a revelation at the time. No wrestling game had ever had such depth before and it was pretty fucking special for that reason. At the same time, WarZone came along which also ticked the boxes as being something special, but again, the roster was somewhat out dated by the time of release. I imagie some kid picking it up and being like, "WHo the hell are Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart?"

Well, Shawn made a little sense since he had just left but Ahmed Johnson, Bret (especially Bret), and British Bulldog were definitely long gone.

Warzone is the last WWF-licensed game Owen Hart was in also.

I didn't mind the Acclaim games (Warzone, Attitude - eventually the ECW clones) at the time because that was IT for WWF on the PlayStation. The d-pad combos for the moves were a bit much. AKI certainly had a better formula in place.

Also, I just watched the trailer for that new 2k14 Wrestlemania game that is coming out and it looks absolutely amazing. I got rid of my Xbox 360, but may be forced to pick up a 2nd hand one just to play that.

ALSO, looking at the roster, it marks the first time in about 7 years that DiBiase is listed as "Ted DiBiase" not "Million Dollar Man". An oversight at corporate HQ?

Should definitely create a new topic for FM/CM, didnt realise people across the pond played it also. I could bang on about it for hours. This season version has been the most successful for me, turned Pompey into European giants in ten years, with a wonderful South American influenced team. Woking into the Championship Play Off final only to lose to Middlesborough on pens, and trust me, Woking have no money at conference level let alone Champioship. My most recent venture is in Holland, two seasons in and my Den Haag team just win the league with a 90% Dutch team under the age of 22. I wonder where the summer has gone scouting across the world, trying to pick up youngesters for no money.

Warzone is the last WWF-licensed game Owen Hart was in also.

Nah, that was WWF Attitude out a couple of years later. The game was too far into development to remove him, so he was included with a tribute o him at the start of the game.

Ah, I remember the tribute but thought they had pulled him. Sadly he never made any of the N64 games.

Also, I just watched the trailer for that new 2k14 Wrestlemania game that is coming out and it looks absolutely amazing. I got rid of my Xbox 360, but may be forced to pick up a 2nd hand one just to play that.

ALSO, looking at the roster, it marks the first time in about 7 years that DiBiase is listed as "Ted DiBiase" not "Million Dollar Man". An oversight at corporate HQ?

Just watched this game trailer and it looks great. They got down Macho Man's elbow finally. I still think this series needs to move to a different engine though.

• 4 weeks later...