Pro Wrestling Only

Chris Jericho taking a hiatus from wrestling?

Coffey

Chris Jericho is expected to be gone from the WWE within 6 weeks, with SummerSlam being his last show. Jericho has a multitude of gigs booked for his band, Fozzy, including a ten-day tour of the UK in October.

-- Wrestling Observer Newsletter

(blatantly copy & pasted from TSM)

This seems like big news to me. Jericho is still a HUGE name in this business. If he's going to go fulltime with Fozzy, obviously TNA isn't in his cards. Not to mention, after he was done touring or whatever, I'm sure he'd choose to go back to WWE before TNA. Still, "what if?"

Guest Cam Chaos

Fozzy won't go too far, they are a novelty band. They can pack in a few thousand but I don't see MTV doing them favours and the underground will reject them due to Jericho's current profession. However Jericho was saying earlier this year he felt he'd accomplished all he wanted to do in wrestling and that he was looking into other avenues of entertainment so who knows? I reckon he'll go away, recharge his batteries and come back for the Rumble. He'll start missing the pay cheques before too long.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was true, especially since it's about the time HHH is expected back.

Jericho has never been quiet about his feelings toward how his WWE career has gone, so perhaps he's hit his breaking point.

Guest EastCoastJ

Can someone with a subscription confirm this? It seems weird that it is coming out on a Thursday when most people got their Observers days ago.

If it's true, it makes perfect sense why he's been put with Cena. They really should do an injury angle when he leaves so he'll come back in a program.

Honestly, the time away will be good for Jericho. In some ways, injuries have helped keep other guys fresh because they've been able to miss time, but Jericho has been there steadily for six years without taking a break now, and has been positioned in the upper midcard/main event picture most of that time. He's stale. He should take the opportunity to come back with a new gimmick, new entrance music and a new look.

It depends on how he leaves. If he is oblitterated at the hands of Cena, I don't see him coming back for a long while, if ever. If he leaves via injury angle, then who knows? I hope Jericho heads to TNA than WWE though. They need all the star power they can get and he would have instant credibility as opposed to *cough* Jeff Jarrett *cough*. WWE doesn't REALLY NEED him. TNA does.

TNA would do handstands if they got their hands on him. He'd pretty much have creative control over all his storylines, be in the main event at all times, and if he decided he did want to pick up more dates, there's not an indy in the US that wouldn't pay him huge, nor is there a Japanese company that wouldn't have any interest.

Keller:

-Just to clear up reports going around, sources say that Chris Jericho has not signed his WWE contract, and it's strange for a WWE wrestler not to sign a contract way ahead of it expiring. He also will be taking some time off from full-time WWE wrestling to tour with Fozzy. Month ago, a friend of his said he was curious to see whether Jericho chose to re-sign with WWE based on a variety of factors. In other words, Jericho has told people it's not a given he will renew. That said, it's strange that WWE would give him this big of a push leading to his contract expiring if they didn't fully expect him to re-sign, especially with TNA having deep enough pockets to make someone at Jericho's level a competitive offer with more freedom to do concerts if he chose on weekends. So odds are strong that Jericho is at least giving WWE management the impression it's just a formality of paperwork at this point.

What Meltzer originally wrote in the Observer:

"Jericho had considered leaving when his contract expired. Several in he company were under the impession he was leaving shortly,and others who know him well said he was looking to work harder on his music as well as expand into acting with his time off. The expectation was at some point he would return. His storyline of late being in the direction of wrestling not being his major priority was built with the expectation he may not be around past the summer. However, at this point he looks to have had a change of heart as he's in negotiations, and may have already signed a contract extension."

Y2J not going anywhere

July 28, 2005

Chris Jericho wants to set the record straight.

With various outside sources reporting that Jericho has yet to sign a contract extension with WWE, the former undisputed champion made sure to contact WWE.com and denounce those reports.

?I signed an extension on Monday in Cleveland at Gund Arena,? Jericho said. ?I?ve been working with WWE for six years and I?m not going anywhere.?

Credit: WWE.com

• 2 weeks later...

Speculation picks up again. From the Torch:

While WWE.com quickly responded to the rumors of Chris Jericho leaving WWE by posting news of the wrestler signing a contract extension, its efforts have not done anything to calm the speculation. According to sources close to the situation, even though Jericho signed a short-term contract extension, he continues to sit on a long-term deal and, as of right now, will be taking some time off this fall.

Sources report that Jericho is after some time away from the ring to recharge his batteries, spend time with family, work with Fozzy and investigate possible Hollywood opportunities. What is not on Jericho's agenda, at least at the moment, is negotiating with TNA. Although the occasional source will speculate that talks could pick up, there isn't yet anything to even suggest the possibility of Jericho working with TNA. Virtually all believe that Chris Jericho will return to WWE; few, however, know when that return will take place.

On this week's Byte This, Chris Jericho interestingly vented some of his WWE frustrations, despite the fact that they were not strongly connected to his feud with John Cena. Despite being very respected as a strong talent, there are those who feel Jericho, in addition to having an inflated opinion of himself, tends to be overcritical of the creative process.

Chris Jericho has reportedly saved enough money to make time away from the ring an easy possibility, but there are some who feel the possibility of Jericho and WWE coming to terms on a long-term deal is not yet out of the question. In all likelihood, however, Jericho will be taking a hiatus sometime after Summerslam.

Guest CanadianChick

On this week's Byte This, Chris Jericho interestingly vented some of his WWE frustrations, despite the fact that they were not strongly connected to his feud with John Cena. Despite being very respected as a strong talent, there are those who feel Jericho, in addition to having an inflated opinion of himself, tends to be overcritical of the creative process.

I've always wondered why it seems that Keller dislikes Jericho. Any particular reason for it?

Guest Crucifixio Jones

As a way of wishing him well during his hiatus, I will be sending Chris Jericho this t-shirt:

Posted Image

Wear it with pride, Chris.

I've always wondered why it seems that Keller dislikes Jericho. Any particular reason for it?

Wasn't Keller the one who used to get info from X-Pac? I seemed to remember him being tight with the clique guys, and that opinion of Jericho sounds like it could have come directly from HHH's mouth to Keller's keyboard.

Guest teke184

"OVERLY critical" means that Jericho calls a spade a spade and tells them when their writing is fucking stupid.

Nash said as much in his Torch Talk, which is why he says that Jericho is the most over guy who'll never get a sustained push on top, as the writers can't stand him.