Pro Wrestling Only

[2011-07-25-WWE-Raw] John Cena vs Rey Mysterio

Loss

• 1 month later...

I can't say I feel robbed. This was a great match but damn it, this isn't where I wanted to see it. I've been hoping we would get a PPV main event between these two for a long time. Rey busted out some spots he hasn't used in a long time like the split legged moonsault looking thing and the corner somersault plancha. He has great leg kicks and they factored into an awesome story. Cena sold the leg really well and pulled off some awesome power spots. The finish and the opening of the match hit all of the right notes but with a little more time in the middle this could have been the MOTY. Without that, it's still close but ultimately won't beat something like Finlay/Callihan, Punk/Cena, or Panther/Casas.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Micro, interesting take! I remember all Cena vs Punk matches very fondly. Will be rewatching them soon (before the end of the year hopefully lol). Ill let you know.

WWE Champion Rey Mysterio vs John Cena - RAW 7/25/11

Ahhhhh the Summer of 2011, the last time RAW was actually must-see. The Summer of Punk had me on the edge on my seat and it was he only time in recent memory I felt the need to watch RAW in real-time. It is too bad they could not sustain that momentum. If you are like me, you may misremember the details around this match. This is NOT the finals to crown a new WWE Champion. Rey Mysterio had already defeated The Miz earlier in the night for that distinction, but John Cena was oddly not included in the tournament. So the former champion is challenging the new Champion for the title on the very night he won it.

Excellent babyface vs babyface match. Lawler made a great point on commentary that no punches were thrown in this match. That speaks to the respect these two men have for each other. Kudos to the King. Excellent Power vs Speed dynamic. No one is going to confuse John Cena and Yoshiaki Fujiwara, but work with me here. I just happened to watch a Fujiwara match last night. I thought Cena was wrestling a lot like Fujiwara in the sense of great defense. John Cena knew he can absorb more of Rey's blows than Rey can withstand his power moves. So Cena waited for Rey to take chances before he would shoulder tackle him or clothesline him or powerslam him hard on a 619 attempt. Cena never made himself vulnerable, but Rey has to make himself vulnerable and that's when Cena pounced. Great job, John! That powerslam I mentioned was the turning point. Cena made a point to drive the offense. At some point, he needed to win the match and after taking Rey's shots and getting in his own, he went on offense. Now Rey is a great defensive wrestler in his own right and that's normally his game. Keeping his opponents off balance with speed & agility. Rey kept thwarting at every pass of his standard Cena comeback. The highwater mark of this was when Rey reversed into an STF. Cena sold well and even when got free couldn't do the FU because his bum wheel. His injured leg caused him to end up in the ropes. 6-1-9! Rey went for the splash that won him the title earlier in the night, but ate knees, but Cena has injured knees. Everyone is hurt! Rey goes for 619 again and Cena hits the FU for the win! CM Punk returns and this sets up the Title vs Title Showdown at Summerslam.

Awesome dream match here. Neither one heeled it up. This shows how you can have an exciting respectful babyface vs babyface title match. Cena looked awesome in this, great power and selling. Really made Rey look like a million bucks. Rey was on point flying when he was supposed and eating power when necessary. Strong finish run even if the finish itself felt very conventional. In a company that puts offense first, these two put defense first and respected the differences of each other style to culminate in an excellent bout for the WWE Championship. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2011-07-25-WWE-Raw] John Cena vs Rey Mysterio