Pro Wrestling Only

Forthcoming Warrior DVD..

Guest Dazed

Guest Dazed

source (yeah, it's an unregistered member of an ezboard, so take it how you will)

Hi everyone,

I know there is a great deal of BS and lies on the internet, so I understand if you do not believe me during this post, but I will go ahead anyway. I do not want to disclose my name, as I know the company monitors the internet quite tight, but I have been working as an intern at the production department of Titan Television (WWE's studios). I have been involved in the making of several DVD projects these past few months, one of which was the forthcoming Ultimate Warrior 2 disc set.

While I can't give out too many specifics on the set, I can tell you a few things that may upset you as Warrior fans, and would like your feedback which I will happily return to my supervisor, Mr Chambers.

First off, Vince McMahon and Warrior have actually spoke several times regarding this DVD. Those of you who have purchased WWE 'Legends' DVDs will know how they work...there is a documentary on the wrestler, and fellow superstars and office staff will talk about that wrestler - memories, favorite moments, opinions, backstage stories, etc. We recently released a DVD on the Road Warriors, which featured Animal tracing the roots of the characters and giving insights into their careers as superstars, wrestlers, and men.

Vince wanted Warrior to do the same, and called him at home. Warrior apparently has his own documentary film coming soon and said to Vince he would like to do a deal where they could have flyers inside each DVD to help advertise the other one. Mr McMahon said he didn't want to do this, as it wouldn't be a 50-50 beneficial deal(it would benefit Warrior much more than WWE), and that the shareholders wouldn't like advertising with a former talent.

Warrior was worried about being seen as a hypocrite if he appeared on the DVD, and when Vince refused advertising and a smaller fee than what Warrior wanted, Warrior refused steadfast to participate in it. Negotiations ended there on the phone, and I was told by my supervisor that Vince told Warrior "Well then, we'll see what happens."

I can reveal to you that this DVD is not going to be one that fans will want to see. Many talents have appeared on this disc to talk about Warrior - Bobby Heenan, Pat Patterson, Paul London, HHH, JR, John Cena, Batista, Hogan, Eddie, Benoit and others - and every single one of them has painted him a negative light. All the comments make fun of Warrior, and talk about what an idiot, flash in the pan, and lucky guy he was.

There are also two bonus features on disc 2. The first is "Ultimate Impressions" in which current WWE superstars do their best impersonation of Warrior. It is sad to say the least - Benoit foams at the mouth and yells at the top of his voice...HHH messes his hair all up and pretends to be Warrior shaking the ropes, and Batista ties some bootlaces around his arms and talks to his hands. More insulting, there is a "Warrior Calamaties" montage of times when Warrior has made mistakes - slipping over, bloopers during interviews, botched moves, etc.

Basically, the whole thing is made to have the message that Warrior was intense and powerful, but also a bit of an idiot. He is painted in the same light as Doink, Repo Man and Duke Droese, rather than as a legend next to Randy Savage, Bret Hart and Andre. Sad - because the majority of people who would buy this would be UW fans from the 80s...and once they know that this is a giant farce, they will boycott it and the DVD will fail to sell.

Good business sense Mr McMahon!!:rollin It looks like another desperate attempt to bury UW.

Thought you should know. Opinions?

And the Warrior's response

Guest teke184

This may have comic value but I'm not paying over $10 for it.

However, if Heenan has more stories like the one where Andre decided to teach Warrior a lesson about doing worked clotheslines, it may be worth it...

Guest SweetMama Scaat

I think YOU should tell us that story right now, teke 184.

BTW, the title of the dvd IS "The self-destruction of the Ultimate Warrior", so if anybody buys it expecting to see their childhood hero in a positive light they'll get what they deserve.

Guest teke184

Heenan's story is that, when Warrior and Andre were working their house show series together in 1989, Andre was trying to tell Warrior how to work with him.

Specifically, Andre's back was screwed at that point, so he tried to work one of his signature spots into the matches where he would take a clothesline, step back, then get tied up into the ropes.

The only thing he asked was that Warrior be careful when giving him the clothesline.

Warrior's response was that he didn't think things out too far ahead of time, but he'd try to keep it in mind.

The first night, Warrior hit Andre full-speed with the clothesline. Andre just made a groaning sound like "Hrmmm..."

The next night, Warrior hit Andre again full-speed. Andre made the same sound.

On the third night, Warrior was running full-speed at Andre when Andre stuck out his arm and put his hand up, which knocked Warrior silly when he ran into.

On the fourth night, Warrior was going VERY slowly to give Andre the clothesline.

After receiving the clothesline on the fourth night, Andre leaned over to Heenan and said, in his deep voice, "He's learning."

Match listing from PWI:

*Ultimate Warrior vs. Terry Gibbs - Wrestling Challenge 10/24/87

*Ultimate Warrior vs. WWF Intercontinental champion The Honky Tonk Man - Summerslam '88

*WWF champion Hulk Hogan vs. WWF Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior: Title-For-Title - Wrestlemania VI

*WWF champion The Ultimate Warrior vs. Rick Rude - Steel Cage Match - Summerslam '90

*Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage - Loser Must Retire - Wrestlemania VII

Match listing from PWI:

*Ultimate Warrior vs. Terry Gibbs - Wrestling Challenge 10/24/87

*Ultimate Warrior vs. WWF Intercontinental champion The Honky Tonk Man - Summerslam '88

*WWF champion Hulk Hogan vs. WWF Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior: Title-For-Title - Wrestlemania VI

*WWF champion The Ultimate Warrior vs. Rick Rude - Steel Cage Match - Summerslam '90

*Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage - Loser Must Retire - Wrestlemania VII

There's got to be more matches than that.

Good choices so far. The Hogan, Savage and Rude matches are good ones. I'd toss in the Savage SummerSlam 92 match as well. The Honky squash is a necessity. And of course, the Terry Gibbs is your prerequisite "First ever match" that we always see on these releases.

I am really trying to think of other Warrior matches they include and coming up with blanks.

Possibly the Hunter squash from WM12?

At least one match with Andre the Giant. It would be classic if they get Heenan on there telling the story teke mentioned about.

There was absolutely nothing compelling about his WCW run at all. You could include it as part of the ribbing that was considered for the set.

If you could get some Memphis, World Class or UWF footage, I think there might be some "historical" worth to that although no good matches.

Rude @ Summerslam '89 really should be included. One of his better matches, and a title victory to boot.

Damn, I mis-read the list. I thought '89 was included (I remember watching the show from, of all places, a bar/hangout at a police station, and really getting into the match) but instead it's the crappy '90 cage match.

I agree, switch '89 in for '90.

The Blade Runners weren't as impressive as you'd think. I would never guess in a million years that they both would end up world champions.

I will say, whoever trained Sting did a hell of a job. They both were at the same level then and Warrior stayed there.

Guest teke184

The Blade Runners weren't as impressive as you'd think. I would never guess in a million years that they both would end up world champions.

I will say, whoever trained Sting did a hell of a job. They both were at the same level then and Warrior stayed there.

Eddie Gilbert and Ric Flair were two of the people who helped Sting take off, from what I gather.

Gilbert was the head of "Hot Stuff International" and Sting was a member during his UWF tenure. It's not a stretch to say that one of the great minds in the business in Gilbert probably helped one of his stable-mates take off.