Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-01-18-NJPW] Tatsumi Fujinami & Kantaro Hoshino vs Dynamite Kid & Steve Keirn (2/3 falls)

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [1980-01-18-NJPW] Tatsumi Fujinami & Kantaro Hoshino vs Dynamite Kid & Steve Keirn (2/3 falls)
  • 4 years later...

I’ve seen some Fujinami from 78-82 before and I remember there being a bit of a disconnect for me, so I’m hoping this watchthrough brings more of his greatness to the surface. His partner Hoshino looks like an overgrown baby with tiny legs sprouting out of his stocky torso. This contrasts so starkly with Fujinami who is one of the most proportional wrestlers I’ve ever seen. Keirn, who I’m unfamiliar with, is the NWA Junior Heavyweight Champion and works more as the “heavy” to Dynamite’s speedy approach.
The first fall was unsurprisingly at its best when Fujinami and Dynamite were matched up but also Fujinami did some great work on the apron, his frustration growing as the gaijin team were able to isolate Hoshino. The finish actually had Fujinami get caught up in a double team himself and falling to a Dynamite diving headbutt. A pindrop could be heard in the arena. Interestingly this was generally a very quiet crowd. I’ve read before about the differing crowd demographics at each Japanese promotion, but I can’t remember what the composition of the New Japan one was supposed to be at this time. It felt very high brow, like a theatre show rather than a wrestling show, especially compared to the AJW crowd from earlier in the month.
Second fall has Fujinami flip the script and nails a brainbuster on Kid. One note I had was that Hoshino nailed Keirn with a very stiff dropkick and when Keirn and Kid worked him over while tied up in the ropes later on, I couldn’t help but feel that they were giving him a receipt for that. Just feels like something Kid would do.
The finish to the third, and the match, had Fujinami using his tope to clear the ring and set up the 1v1 with Hoshino and Keirn. Hoshino went for a cross body off the top rope. Keirn catches him in mid-air and nails him with a shoulder breaker for the win. I’ve seen it multiple times before, but it’s been so long since I’ve watched a Fujinami match that I had forgotten, but his tope is surely one of the most exciting moves in wrestling, and particularly in 1980. Even as he revs up to deliver it you can sense the electricity in the crowd and the velocity he generates as he zips through the ropes, truly extraordinary. 
The match overall was kind of “you-get-what-you-expect” from Fujinami and Kid. Hoshino however was a nice surprise. He packs some punch and is really agile for a man with his body composition. Keirn was definitely an afterthought here.

★★★★

• 8 months later...

This was a really nice Junior Heavyweight showcase, it went 20 minutes and never dragged once. I don't think Dynamite and Keirn tagged very regularly (if they did, I mostly missed it), but I surely wish they did because they showed a lot of chemistry and aggression when isolating the babyfaces, almost like this was a typical 80s Southern tag match. They did a good job at teasing a Dynamite/Fujinami confrontation to build a singles match, they also pinned each other but you never see enough of it, as most of the focus is on the gaijins destroying poor Hoshino. Fujinami gets the quiet crowd to pop big time when he hits a crazy suicide dive on Kid, but this leads to the heels beating Hoshino
***3/4