Pro Wrestling Only

Free TV Match of the Week 2014: Discussion Thread

Grimmas

The format of the Free TV Match of the Week polls is now changing. This is the thread to discuss the matches. The links and previous winners will go in here. The other threads will just be the poll, come here to explain your pick and discuss the matches.

Note: This will be an ongoing thread, there will not be a new discussion thread posted weekly.

Previous Winners:
Free TV Match of the Week, Week 1: January 1 to 4: Negro Casas vs Titan (CMLL on Terra, 1/3)
Free TV Match of the Week, Week 2: January 5 to 11: Real Americans vs Rhodes Brothers (WWE Raw, 1/6)
Free TV Match of the Week, Week 3: January 12 to 18: Negro Casas & Puma & Tiger vs Black Panther & Blue Panther & Cachorro (CMLL on CadenTres, 1/18)
Free TV Match of the Week, Week 4: January 19 to 25: Goldust & Cody Rhodes & Big E Langston vs The Shield (WWE Raw, 1/20)
Free TV Match of the Week, Week 5: January 26 to February 1: Virus vs Titan (CMLL on CadenaTres, 2/1)
Free TV Match of the Week, Week 6: February 2 to 8: Daniel Bryan vs Randy Orton (WWE Raw, 2/3)
Free TV Match of the Week, Week 7: February 9 to 15: Sheamus & Christian vs Real Americans (WWE Raw, 2/10) & Cesaro vs Randy Orton (WWE Smackdown, 2/14)
Free TV Match of the Week, Week 8: February 16 to 22: Cesaro vs John Cena (WWE Raw, 2/17)
Free TV Match of the Week, Week 9: February 23 to March 1: Sami Zayn vs Cesaro (NXT arRIVAL, 2/27)

Week 7 options are:

Sheamus & Christian vs Real Americans (WWE Raw, 2/10)
Rey Mysterio vs Mark Henry vs Kofi Kingston vs Jack Swagger (WWE Smackdown, 2/14)
Cesaro vs Randy Orton (WWE Smackdown, 2/14)
Go vote in the poll thread and come here to discuss. I still need to watch Smackdown, but I loved that tag match from Raw.

Here are the nominees for Week 8 (February 16 to 22):

El Dandy vs Satanico (ACM Noches de Coliseo, 2/16)

Daniel Bryan vs Christian (WWE Raw, 2/17)

Cesaro vs John Cena (WWE Raw, 2/17)
Magnus vs Gunner (Magnus Rules, TNA Impact, 2/20)
Daniel Bryan vs Cesaro (WWE Smackdown, 2/21)
Sheamus vs Christian (WWE Smackdown, 2/21)
Click on the lucha for links.

Remember everybody the poll closes tomorrow morning.

I wanted to like something as much as I loved Cena-Cesaro, but it didn't happen. Cena-Cesaro was my match of the year going into the Elimination Chamber.

Cesaro and Cena just mesh so well together. They both work like Bob Backlund showing off their freakish strength, so maybe that is it. That being said, that superplex was the greatest superplex I had ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay folks.

Cena-Cesaro walked away with last week's poll and got every single vote.

The new poll (Week 9) is here. Go and vote there and discuss here.

The nominees are:

Sheamus vs Christian (WWE Raw, 2/24)
Cesaro vs Big E (WWE Raw, 2/24)
Sami Zayn vs Cesaro (NXT arRIVAL, 2/27)
Emma vs Paige (NXT arRIVAL, 2/27)

As much as I enjoyed Christian-Sheamus and there whole feud in general, plus as awesome as Emma-Paige was and really eye opening, Cesaro-Zayn is the clear winner here. One of those excellent matches that play up previous encounters and is two guys stealing the show. That dive by Zayn through the ropes only to get uppercutted is my spot of the year, so far.

I voted for Cesaro v. Zayn, but I'm not sure "Free TV" is the right way to describe the WWE Network.

That is a good point Dylan. That week was a free trial for the WWE Network, so at least it makes sense. However, going forward is NXT not on Free TV anymore? Does this eliminate Superstars too? I'd love to hear what people think.

Technically, USA and SyFy are also not "free TV". I don't have Cable, so I cannot watch them on broadcast TV. I have to pay for cable or pay for Hulu Plus if I want to watch them legit.

So I pay for Hulu and for WWENetwork. I would still consider them "free TV" in this sense.

But the bigger question becomes, now that PPVs are going to be the same category as NXT, ME, and SS, does the distinction matter anymore?

Technically, USA and SyFy are also not "free TV". I don't have Cable, so I cannot watch them on broadcast TV. I have to pay for cable or pay for Hulu Plus if I want to watch them legit.

So I pay for Hulu and for WWENetwork. I would still consider them "free TV" in this sense.

But the bigger question becomes, now that PPVs are going to be the same category as NXT, ME, and SS, does the distinction matter anymore?

Mind blown.

I guess this is not a "Free TV" poll and is more a traditonal TV poll.

Mind blown.

I guess this is not a "Free TV" poll and is more a traditonal TV poll.

Works for me.

I was just following my own line of thinking about the PPVs. But ideally they are something "other" compared to weekly TV.

Maybe Charles can rename the thread to "TV Match of the Week". Or maybe we just agree that "Free TV" means basically anything but PPV. And as I said, that works for me.

Here are the contenders for Week 10's poll, which is located here:

Sheamus vs Christian (WWE Raw, 3/3), discuss here.

The Shield vs Wyatt Family (WWE Raw, 3/3), discuss here.
Daniel Bryan vs Kane (WWE Main Event, 3/4), discuss here.
Sami Zayn vs Corey Graves (WWE NXT, 3/6), discuss here.
Daniel Bryan & Big Show vs Batista & Kane (WWE Smackdown, 3/7), discuss here.
Sheamus vs Alberto del Rio (WWE Smackdown, 3/7), discuss here.
La Sombra vs Dragon Rojo Jr (CMLL Guerreros del Ring, 3/8), discuss here and watch here.