Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #21: WWF at MSG, October 1980

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-21-wwf-at-msg-october-1980/

titans21.jpg

Parv, Johnny, Pete and Kelly return once more to MSG for the card from October 20th, 1980. Don't forget to check out the dedicated Titans of Wrestling page here at Place to Be Nation, which includes downloading and listening options as well as a link to TITANS TV.

On the docket tonight:

10-20 KEN PATERA vs PEDRO MORALES IC TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

10-20 BOB BACKLUND vs SGT SLAUGHTER WWF TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

10-20 RICK MARTEL vs BARON MIKEL SCICLUNA MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

10-20 LARRY ZBYSZKO vs TONY GAREA MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

10-20 PAT PATTERSON/DUSTY RHODES vs SAMOANS TAG TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

On this show:

- Bios for Rick Martel and Sgt. Slaughter

- Alternative tights

- Debutante vs debutant

- Who would be the best-looking tag team of all time?

- Memories and details of Superclash 85

- Plus Johnny and his mother take Manhattan

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

BTW, in the early days of the early Attitude Era's Saturday syndicated show called Shotgun Saturday Night, they aired from unusual places, usually bars and night clubs.

Well, one night they did a show right in Penn Station underneath MSG! In fact, the ring was setup right about where young Johnny and family were probably milling about getting ready to hop on the next New Jersey Transit train home, well...at least that has been the NJT (and Amtrak as well) main waiting terminals have been since I can remember going back to the mid-1990s.

Not that I expect there was major re-routing going on, just I never had the need to use New Jersey Transit trains out of New York City until the mid-1990s!

There is a TGI Fridays right there, that used to be a Houlihans in the 1990s, I wonder what it was back in the early 1980s...

• 3 weeks later...

That little referee was getting thrown all over the place. I'm finding the abuse he takes to be pretty amusing. Was laughing when he was thrown outside the ring and called for the disqualification. But he is so short you can barely see him behind ring apron. So he has to climb in the ring for the time keeper to see him to ring the bell for disqualification. Yep, on one of the recent Legends of Wrestling shows uploaded to Network that have some good pics of Slaughter as Beautiful Bob Remus.

We need more discussion about the Baron Tragedy Scale. I want to know what gets a full 10 on this scale. This was not the best way to get Martel over. Was a cute finish but a nothing short match overall. Garea's hair was very wavy in this match. Felt the same as you guys that this needed more time. It is a bit frustrating that we do not get to see proper blow offs to feuds with the video footage available. I do miss the Valiants myself when it comes to having to watch these Samoans. There has also been a very lack of fun promos lately from Albano, Blassie and Wizard. Johnny really talked up that Samoans match like it was good. It wasn't. :) So we are getting a full Spectrum show so we can listen to Kal? I am looking forward to hear him talking about Martel.

• 2 weeks later...