Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-01-22-CMLL] Rush vs El Terrible

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

I complained about the globalization of pro wrestling styles in the modern scene after the first few matches on the set. This match isn’t immune from that, but it benefits from that more than it feels like a match somehow compromised. The stiff shots like Terrible’s kicks mixed in with typical lucha matwork, brawling and flying is a nice pairing. I think maybe the reason that rings true is that the non-house style stuff is sprinkled in instead of swallowing the match whole. El Terrible throwing those awesome left hooks felt like a tribute to Sangre Chicana.

This was a super match - my favorite of the year so far and the first real classic I’ve seen from 2013. It’s fun to watch this match build from an aggressive but sportsmanlike encounter to a real war. This starts with some really nice matwork that’s basic but effective. Tempers quickly flare and these guys proceed to fight with reckless abandon. I really dug the huge pride each guy had in proving superiority over the other, and how that led to both triumphs and setbacks for each guy at various points. The momentum shifts weren’t “my turn, your turn”, they were a huge display of willpower that was just too strong for the other guy to overcome. This doesn’t have the technical mastery of something like Dandy vs Satanico, but it definitely has the same spirit and nastiness, and that’s even without blood. Check out the fatigued selling and desperation powering that late match slugfest. Those are the moments you live for as a wrestling fan.

I echo Loss on this one. This was a great slugfest of a match, between two guys who have really developed together. I am hesitant to say they have "created" a style to fit their skill sets, but I do think both guys really stand out as unique in CMLL in large part because of shared traits (charisma, facial expressions, dramatic and impactful strikes, great "damage" selling, et.) Rush had a hell of a year, but with no payoff to the Casas feud in 2013, this was really his best singles match (and arguably match of any kind) of the year.

• 1 month later...

I tried not to make my post about stuff other than the match itself but the TV presentation here came off as a huge distraction to me. I get you have to pay the bills and such but the advertisements throughout the arena and on the TV screen were totally distracting to me. Guessing it is something that I will just have to get use to in the long run. Felt like the first half of the match was me focusing on the ads. Latter half was able to pay more attention to the match itself. I did come around to it then as was a good third fall. Not as high on it as you guys but again going to say there was a lack of focus by me watching this.

• GSR changed the title to [2013-01-22-CMLL] Rush vs El Terrible