Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-08-19-Michinoku Pro] Gedo & Jado vs Great Sasuke & Tiger Mask IV

Loss

• 2 months later...

This match is a challenge to describe. The shine is all kinds of fast-paced and high flying, with Tiger Mask landing a big top rope knee drop within 2 minutes. Then Jado and Gedo start the heat segment with, of course, some illegal interference during rope-running. Tiger Mask takes a really deliberate and stiff beating. We're talking between 1/3 and 1/2 of the earlier pace. I mean, they take their time even between strikes. So then the comeback starts and after one suplex Sasuke has Jado set up on a table on the outside and goes up top. And he completely misses his dive and the first thing he hits is the guard rail with his leg with the rest of him crash landing behind it. A few minutes later he is back in the ring for the chaotic, hyper-fast paced finishing run, so at least he's moderately okay after trying to kill himself. Jado and Gedo get the better of this for a while, and just as TM and Sasuke start building some steam TM misses a dive judging by trajectory. TM and Sasuke get their nearfalls and Sasuke is interrupted going up top by a chair thrown by Jado. Gedo finishes him off. I doubt this match makes my ballot, but it was definitely an experience. Also, Gedo and Jado surprised me in two ways. One, they are all gangsta in 2001. And two, they realty rock at heat segments.

• 3 weeks later...

Sasuke missing the dive is great. All of his bumps are great. love that fucking guy. This is a pretty uneven affair. I'm not big on Jado but Gedo is alright and as a team they are passable but not really impressive heels. On top of that Tiger Mask is pretty flat as the face in peril. Nothing special here.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-08-19-Michinoku Pro] Gedo & Jado vs Great Sasuke & Tiger Mask IV
  • 3 months later...

This match definitely starts off in an unusual manner with the babyfaces having solid control over the IWGP Jr. Tag champs. It all starts to make sense once G & J get the upper hand and isolate TM from the Great Sasuke. 

I liked Tiger as the face in peril here. I think his role in M-Pro is more pronounced in '01 and he's certainly more confident. Anyhow, Sasuke gets in the but, things go off course as he whiffs on a table dive to the outside. Remarkably, it doesn't derail the match as Tiger & Gedo are inside the ring fighting as the legal men. So, we see Sasuke somersault flip to the cement (rewind and rewatch) and without missing a beat, the action is rocking in-ring. For all intents and purposes, that whiff could have killed the match but, came across as "oh that crazy Sasuke tsk tsk" instead.

I really enjoyed this match. The false finishes were nice, Tiger linking moves near the end, simple face/heel dynamics, nice action, yeah- a very good to great jr. tag match. Definitely worth watching if you're a '94-97 M-Pro lover.

• 4 years later...

Ha, I do not remember watching this in 2018 but watched it again this past week for a blog post. I think my comment rings pretty true still. That Sasuke whiff is apparent but it really is acceptable in the grand scheme of the match. I might rank this as like ****1/4 - near classic stuff to be honest. I liked it more this time than before. So I'll average it out and say this is a **** match and if you're interested definitely seek it out.