Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-01-10-NOAH-Great Voyage] Kenta Kobashi & Takeshi Rikio & Makoto Hashi vs Jun Akiyama & Takeshi Morishima & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Kobashi, Rikio & Hashi vs Akiyama, Morishima & Kikuchi, NOAH January 10th 2004

Background: For some reason, NOAH decided to headline a Nippon Budokan event with three tags, and put champion Kobashi in a third-from-the-top 6-man. Worked out reasonably well. This was done to continue the Kobashi/Akiyama feud en route to July's show at the Tokyo Dome.

Why I think it's underrated: Insert my previous comments about 6-man tags being overlooked. The teams are 'parejas increibles', since Rikio/Morishima, Akiyama/Hashi, and Kobashi/Kikuchi are all long-term stablemates. This ends up becoming a showcase for Hashi as he tries to prove himself against his mentor and friend. Good exchanges, plenty of fire, and a receptive crowd all add up to something special.

What it deserves: Top 100. Too many spectacular matches from 2004 for this to hit the top tier, but it's got enough quality to merit inclusion

• 5 months later...

I feel like NOAH ran a bunch of these tags with regular partners going up against each other in 2004. It feels like that's where the booking started to get less focused. This is a good 6 man and the novelty of guys wrestling their partners is pat of that but there were better 6 man tags later in the year. Unfortunately my favorite NOAH 6 man from 2004 wasn't nominated (the one from February with Sano and Taue teaming against Kobashi).

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2004-01-10-NOAH-Great Voyage] Kenta Kobashi & Takeshi Rikio & Makoto Hashi vs Jun Akiyama & Takeshi Morishima & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi