Pro Wrestling Only

[2009-05-06-NJPW-Dissidence] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Manabu Nakanishi

Loss

• 4 months later...

Here's something I never would have guessed. Tanahashi is one of the more consistent wrestlers in the late 2000s as far as cranking out good matches and good performances. They stick to the Tanahashi formula, which is more than a little odd given Tanahashi is the face here. Tanahashi is at a clear disadvantage power wise, but he catches the bigger guy getting into the ring and starts working over the leg. Nakanishi doesn't sell the leg near enough as the match progresses. Everything else is solid though. Tanahashi gets beaten down by the power of Nakanishi, has to go back to the leg. Nakanishi gets in a few big man agility spots. Finishing run is well-done as they don't go too big on the nearfalls, work is done in between, it makes sense with the erst of the match and it ends when it should. This probably gets a vote.

• 3 months later...

IWGP Heavyweight Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Manabu Nakanishi - NJPW 5/6/09

Well I sure as hell was not expecting that. I have to say the surprise finish definitely boosted it on first viewing, but clearly once you have know the finish the match comes back to Earth some. I will not be watching this back, but I will rate it based on these initial feelings.

Nakanishi is your standard NJPW powerhouse that is a similar age to Nagata and Kojima, which mean he was in the class that was overlooked by Inoki's booking by the time Inoki was ousted the company was moving a new direction with Tanahashi and Nakamura. He is most famous in the US for being Kursawa in WCW in 95 wrestling Hawk usually. He is a taller version of Sasaki with a similar stout build. Based on what I have seen from Tanahashi, this should be a slam dunk great match as he excels against powerhouses. Couple things hurt this match against Goto and Suwama. Nakanishi has even less charisma than those two. He did have some impressive chops, but he really does not use his size to bully Tanahashi like he should. In addition, Tanahashi is not heeling it up as much so the match does not have that extra oomph that character work provided. It is still a great match coupled with a shocking finish that really felt special. This match also featured the first time I thought Tanahashi was too soft on offense. I know this is a common complaint about Tanahashi that in super stiff puroresu he can hit like a patsy, but I have been looking for it and I have always thought his forearms and slaps look crisp. It was his stomps to Nakanishi that look pitifully weak.

The formula for face Tanahashi is that he is equal to his opponent and will get a little bit of offense in before he has to resort to attacking the knee because the opponent is countering. Tanahashi gets a somersault off the apron, but Nakanishi catches him with White Noise. Before he can be dropped on the exposed gym floor he dropkicks the knee and then dragon leg screw in the ropes. Nakanishi is great at selling the knee during the work, but like so many others he totally neglects it on his offense. Tanahashi mixes in great knee work, Nakanishi hope spots and knee cutoffs to build an interesting body. Nakanishi hits a couple big aerial moves to finally add something unique to the match. I liked Nakanishi powering through Tanahashi offense with Polish Hammers (as called by the Japanese announcers). Nakanishi powers out of a Dragon Sleeper with a powerslam. I would have liked to see more spots like that where he is using his strength to counter Tanahashi and bully him. Tanahashi hits Sling Blade and is perched on top. Then in the most amusing segment, Nakanishi rises like the Creature from the Black Lagoon and meets him and superplex. The crowd liked Nakanishi sort of Zombie No-Sell of that.

My favorite thing about Tanahashi is that he has no knock out blows, but he can constantly pitted against opponents that can win in a minute's notice whether it is Nagata or Nakamura with flash submissions or Goto and Suwama with a knock out blow. So Tanahashi has to build and work for his victory. He takes the knee out to debilitate their chances of socring that low while also giving him something to attack or set up his barrage of suplexes and High Fly Flows. The finish run tells that story can Nakanishi hit one knock out blow or can Tanahashi score a victory by submission from the Cloverleaf or by pinfall from High Fly Flow? I though Nakanishi added even less than Goto and Suwama, but Tanahashi kept this interesting as he continues his streak of great matches. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2009-05-06-NJPW-Dissidence] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Manabu Nakanishi