Pro Wrestling Only

Pro-Wrestling Super Show - Year at a Glance - WWF in 1996 (June 4, 2014)

Survivor-Series-1996-Hart-Austin.jpg

Click here

On this week's Pro-Wrestling Super Show, Steven Graham is joined by Justin Rozzero (of Place to be Podcast, Kevin Kelly Show, etc...) and Aaron George (of Place to be Nation) to do a "Year at a Glance" of the WWF in 1996. A fun discussion of why it was such a pivotal year for the company. We also answer the listener question of the week and give out our recommendations.

Remember to subscribe, rate and review the Pro-Wrestling Super Show on iTunes and visit the Pro-Wrestling Super Show on Tumblr at prowrestlingsupershow.tumblr.com to get supplementary media.

Ron Simmons left ECW after the Hostile City Showdown in 1995, where was he until he signed with Vince? And the race overtones were definitely implied with Sunny and Faarooq, Sunny actually said that it is one of the only angles she flat out refused to do. I gues it was another attempt by Vince to create heat by playing up the OJ thing.

And I'm still waiting for an all purpose Samoan portraying an Irish wrestler.

Some darn good stuff in this one...

- Sleaze! Vince's lust for Shawn and Steph versus Justin Rozzero's lust for Sunny and a teased Hollywood Blondes reunion. Which is creepier?

- Scandal! Rebooking Steph's marriage with Shawn subbing for Hunter. Card subject to change. Crazy.

- Conspiracy! Does whipping, branding, and beating poor Savio Vega really guarantee future greatness? Hmm.

In all seriousness though, this made for great listening from you guys. I kept hoping Aaron would finally own up & disagree with something Justin said. ANYTHING. It just makes for better discussion. But, even all in agreement, I liked a lot of what we got.

Me and my friend are ALWAYS pointing out that Samoans constantly get booked to be everything besides Samoans. It's like being Samoan is the last resort go-to gimmick. Before that? They can be Persian. They can be black. They can be Japanese. Hell, Camacho is supposed to be Mexican. And he's got the bloodline of an eye-gouging Haku coursing through his veins. I mean, come on.

Neat point about Corny being the new Brain. And you're right. He was essentially the Bobby Heenan to Shawn's Hogan.

Legit had me laughing at the comment about Jose looking like the world's worst wingman. Shawn's rep definitely wasn't helped by his presence there. The cool factor got cranked WAY down with the male stripper suddenly going from edgy to whitebread anyhow, but yeah. He basically went from palling around with a big, hip, badass-looking bouncer in leather and shades to... the Super Sock.

And I'm right there with ya, JR. Savage versus Austin, Bret, Shawn, and Taker in the early stages of the Attitude Era could have been freaking phenomenal. They could have been those feuds, those buildups, and those series of matches that we all would've enjoyed at the time. But - best of all - we could be going back and eating 'em up all over again with the Network today. It's a damn shame we didn't get it.

- Vince was way creepier... I was 15, mine was innocent!

- It was shell shock going from Scott (always arguing with each other) to Aaron (very much think along the same lines)

- Jose... I could have done two hours on him and Shawn's odd relationship...such a weird decision on many levels

- Savage would have been awesome at that time for sure... I really thought it was going to happen after he got wrecked by the nWo at Havoc

Glad you enjoyed the show... it was a lot of fun to do!

Pete (Titans) and Scott (Place to be Podcast) will be doing the return of The Wrestler Snapshot on Chris Jericho tonight.

If you have any questions you can post them here, whether Jericho or not Jericho related. We'll answer anything as the listener question of the week.

When did you think Jericho put all the pieces together and became a complete performer?

Was Jericho the wrong guy to use as the first Undisputed Champion?

Are there any Jericho matchups you would have liked to have seen over the years that didn't happen for whatever reason?

Favorite 80's metal big hair in wrestling?

And a random one that could be used on any future episode...

Create your own custom commentary team, using ONLY the members of Place2BeNation podcast panels.

Will, Charles, Parv, Pete, Johnny, Kelly, Justin, Scott, yourselves, etc. Who would YOU like to hear call a show on color? Who would you pick to fill the play-by-play duties?

Choose a traditional two-man team OR even build a three-man booth. It's up to you.

OPTIONAL: Select one specific wrestling card or event you'd love to hear them do commentary for.

Pete (Titans) and Scott (Place to be Podcast) will be doing the return of The Wrestler Snapshot on Chris Jericho tonight.

If you have any questions you can post them here, whether Jericho or not Jericho related. We'll answer anything as the listener question of the week.

Looking forward to this. Keep 'em coming, Steve.

Looking forward to this. Keep 'em coming, Steve.

New episode is just processing on Soundcloud, should be available shortly.