Pro Wrestling Only

[1981-10-07-AJPW] Ric Flair vs Terry Funk

Loss

• 2 years later...

I wish that this was not handheld footage. I wish that the 3 falls went more than 20 minutes. I feel that a major thing lacking during this match was that I couldn't see Terry Funk's amazing facial expressions and selling. I think there was double juice by the end, but I'm not entirely sure. I loved how Flair pounced on Terry unleashing the punches to the head at the start of the second fall. Make no mistake though....I REALLY liked this match, but I would have enjoyed it more if it was pro-shot. Definitely 4 stars

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't find Flair vs Tenryu from '81 brutha. :(

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Terry Funk - AJPW 10/7/81

Eight years before their classics in NWA, they met in All Japan with this being Flair's first tour as champion.

First fall: Even though I have seen this before, I had forgotten it was three falls. So I was surprised when Flair won the fall with a figure-4. I thought he just gave the hold up in the middle of the ring. I was going to be pissed. Then I saw he won I knew it must be 2 out of 3 falls. Pretty basic NWA style fall. Funk worked the surfboard and Flair the headlock. It wasn't until the ten minute mark they ramped it up. Funk went up and over the turnbuckles. Flair kicked some ass on the outside. Vertical suplex inside and figure-4 to polish him off in about 12 minutes of action. It would change your life, but solid opening fall. Flair 1-0.

Second Fall: Excellent fall. Really makes up for the tepid first fall. Flair is a shark that smells blood. He beats the piss outta Funk. He is really hammering him. Some great punches. Funk escapes to the outside and back in Flair is right on him with those big time punches to the head. Funk catches him good with one and then headbutt. Great Funk selling. Great stand up fight with these Funk scores the knockdown and SPINNING TOEHOLD! Flair submits! Funk keeps punching him in the head. How does your own medicine taste, Slick Ric? Tight, urgent and violent! Great fall to knot it up. Tied 1-1.

Third Fall: Great limp by Flair. Tries to protect his leg. Funk is wild throwing great punches. Funk throws Flair out. Flair gets press slammed off the top. SPINNING TOEHOLD FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP! Kick off by Flair into the buckles, schoolboy, nada. Flair goes for the Butterfly Suplex, reversed into a pinning combination, 1-2-3!!! NEW...NO FOOT ON THE ROPES! GREAT NEARFALL! They go right home after that with the wild double countout finish.

First fall is pretty pedestrian. The last two falls are pretty awesome. Great selling and urgency. So glad we have the '89 classics because these two foreshadow the greatness that is come. ****

• GSR changed the title to [1981-10-07-AJPW] Ric Flair vs Terry Funk