Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-08-13-WCW-Thunder] Bret Hart vs Lex Luger

Loss

• 2 months later...

Just the finish. This match looks promising too. Bret brings a chair into the match, Luger gets it away from him and the ref gets bumped. This gives Bret the opportunity to DDT Luger on the chair. Luger gets a big kickout before Bret locks in the sharpshooter. Lex does a submission job! Bret regains the U.S. title.

• 1 month later...

I agree that this match looked like they picked up where they left off on Monday. I don't know about the belt flipping but this was a clever finish with me really biting on the chair shot and them actually getting over the sharpshooter as a finish. THey should have done a finishers match or something between them at the PPV.

• 1 month later...

WCW US Champion Lex Luger vs Bret Hart - WCW Thunder 8/13/98

What is about the month of August and Lex Luger. He can win the big ones, but he can't hold onto them. This year he wins the US Title and immediately turns around and dumps it back to Bret Hart. It is too bad this did not lead to a rubber match on PPV. This one felt more like a standard Bret Hart match with Luger letting him take the majority of the match. I liked Bret cheating early and when Luger retaliates he goes overboard prompting the ref trying to pull him off and hotshot. Bret works his usual match from on top and is just so good on offense. Luger is one of the better sellers on the roster. Bret seems a bit more focused than usual on taking out Luger air supply targeting his throat. Luger's comeback is a little too abrupt and prompts Bret to grab a chair. Bret shoves Luger into the ref and a DDT on the chair gets two. The Sharpshooter gets the job done. Bret submits to Torture Rack and Luger passes out to Sharpshooter. Submission rubber match at the PPV only seems logical. Oh, WCW! Good stuff from these two, but nothing that is great. I wish they had more direction than "Is Bret really with NWO Hollywood" and "Wolfpac vs Hollywood hate each other, well they do, don't you know!" ***

• 1 year later...

Fun little finishing stretch that's just as heated as the Nitro match. Good layout or is North Dakota just starved for entertainment? I'll take the less cynical side, actually. Really good near-fall off the DDT onto the chair, but the finish comes soon afterward.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-08-13-WCW-Thunder] Bret Hart vs Lex Luger