Pro Wrestling Only

Memphis Wrestling Beginner Question

Mad Dog

TV is available from about midway through 79 and there's awesome stuff to see - the whole Lawler/Dundee-Ferris/Latham feud with the concession stand brawl and Fargo getting involved, the Gilberts-Waynes feud, Hogan coming in to stick up for Brutus, a great Lawler/Dundee-Freebirds TV match, Lawler turning heel and having really good studio matches with guys like Morton and Regal.

For my first post on the board, since I grew up with Memphis wrestling in Louisville, it should be Memphis related.

Granted, if you can find any pre79 stuff, that's great. But I agree with the sentiments of the others. 1979 is a great year to start with since I really think the Tupelo Concession Stand brawl truly set the tone for Jarrett. If you start in the USWA, you are missing a ton of fantastic stuff

Watch from 1979 to 1989 . That is real Memphis . The USWA was a scaled back version of the territory .In the early 1990's talent that could not get booked by the WWF , WCW or Japan worked in Memphis , Portland or Puerto Rico . The USWA still had some talent bot it could not match the star power of the 1980's. When Smoky Mountain and ECW started up the Memphis talent base continue to erode .

Lawler vs. Jimmy's Hart First Family., Lawler vs. Bill Dundee , Lawler / Dutch Mantell vs. Dundee/ Buddy Landell , Lawler vs. Tommy Rich/ Austin Idol , Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkle for the AWA title , Tommy Rich vs. Eddie Gilbert, Fabs vs. Sheepherders, Fabs vs. Moondogs , Tojo/ Tarzen Goto/ Aiko Sato vs. Jeff Jarrett / Billy Travis , Robert Fuller / Jimmy Golden vs. Jarrett / Dundee , Lawler vs. Terry Funk , Lawler vs, the Gilberts are just a few of the great programs are happened betwen 79 and 89. I grew up and Memphis and watched it all unfold. If it is your first time viewing Memphis you are in for a real treat .

Keep notes? You'll be taking a lot if you want to keep track of every title change in Memphis haha. The only 2 belts that matter are the Southern Heavyweight and the Tag Titles there is another midcard singles title, the Mid-America title that seems to disappear and reappear at times.