Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #64 - Clash of the Champions XV

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-64-clash-of-the-champions-15-knocksville-usa/

clash15.png

Episodes of WTBBP are a bit like buses, you wait ages for one to come along and then inevitably two come at once. Chad and Parv continue to plunge through the depths of 1991 WCW with a review of Clash of the Champions 15: Knocksville USA. Packed show this week.

- [5:37] Wrestling Observer and PW Torch roundup: Chad hypes the PTBN TV character tournament, Superbrawl buyrates, Terry Funk in Quantum Leap, Meltzer's break down of booking philosphies from different promoters of the 70s and from 1991, and Chad and Parv discuss the significance of finishes.

- [1:00:06] Review of Clash of the Champions 15: Greatest wrestling mysteries 101: what the hell is Cappetta doing on the phone?, PN News has the temerity to rap in front of Salt n Peppa, fantasy booking an El Gigante Midnight Rider angle, more Oz, The Diamond Studd, the winner of the Sting look-a-like contest, and The Bruise Cruise.

- [2:27:08] End of show awards

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Both these shows you guys hit it out of the park. Surly Chad is a real fun listen. Parv doling star ratings during The World Cup = about 1/2* higher. I didn't pick this trend up for Chad during American Football. Then again he's a Falcon fan. Lol . Good points about the show being rushed . You can tell with Dusty booking it seems so far in 91 most of his shows are rushed. It's almost like he's booking a Raw. Parv the talking point about the announcers not being able to put over or explain anything after matches or angles because the show was so rushed was really good analysis .

I too had a wrestling-related thought when Chad said "intergender," but it was of Andy Kaufman showing up and challenging the shower-ers to wrestling matches, with his belt of the same name on the line.

I distinctly remember that Funk episode of Quantum Leap. Sam leaps into an Arkansas farm boy who wrestles with his brother as a Russian tag team and his task is to keep him out of the ring because he'll die of a heart defect. Funk plays a rival wrestler who thinks Sam is banging his wife. Actually a fairly accurate and intelligent look at the '50s wrestling business for the time.

Meltzer's talk (possibly in an earlier WON than the ones you're going over) about the run-ins at SuperBrawl is just kind of sad in retrospect. He points out that as soon as the ref went down in the tag title match, EVERYBODY got up and looked to the entrance way. And you can see it on the video now. Meltzer laments what WCW has done to the fanbase that they've reached this point, and all I can think of when reading it is how much worse things would get in that regard.

One thing Modern WWE *isn't* doing that Dave stressed in that newsletter is wins & losses meaning something. All the constant rematches and non-title matches making most of the matches not matter.

WCW Magazine was definitely published under London Publishing, the same company that did PWI et al, and used many of the same writers. I actually can't recall if Apter had any involvement, at least in the writing. But he was still with London at the time.

Bruce Prichard was actually gone entirely from the WWF by this point, and was soon to be working as a manager in Global. He'd be back in the WWF by the end of '93.

You won't say Jason Hervey "gets it" after watching him on TV, Parv. Appearing on the Bull Drop Inn and not being able to decide if he's a heel or a babyface made him intolerable.

I am AGHAST, appalled, shocked, and horribly disappointed that we've lost the York Foundation theme on the Network. I love, love, LOVE that theme. Sort of a rip-off of Dallas but also sounds exactly like something that would appear in the background of a corporate training or motivation video, which it very likely was. This is as bad as if we had lost the Hollywood Blonds theme, which thankfully we haven't.

I haven't watched the match yet, but Chad, do you see any parallels between Sting/Nikita and Brock/Cena? Just going by the description, the layouts, booking, and circumstances all seem remarkably similar. (Scott Keith liked it and gave it ***, for the record).

At least one of Salt and/or Pepa must have been wrestling fans, that's the only explanation I can think of for them being here. (They were also at WrestleMania 12, where they actually got to do stuff). His appearance on the Bull Drop Inn was even more ridiculous, as he completely loses his place like he's Jermaine from Flight of the Conchords doing the Hiphopapotamus. But I still think this gimmick was better than Oz, only because at least we know what PN News is SUPPOSED to be, even if the execution is a fail in every single regard. Oz is as big of a fail but with a gimmick that's completely and utterly nonsensical. To this day I'm torn on whether Teddy Long's line was intentional or not, considering the nature of Badd's gimmick.

"Brian Pillman must leave WCW, and now here's Paul E. with the Great American Bash control center!" One of the most unintentionally telling bits of commentary of all-time.

Argentine Backbreaker is actually a torture rack (it was Antonino Rocca's finisher). Meltzer is thinking of a Canadian backbreaker (why it's called that, I don't know).

Can't wait for Will on the Bash '91. If any show deserves a special guest, that is one.

I went back and watched the Sting/Nikita match. I'm going to have say I'm more in the Parv camp on this was . 2 1/2 * feels fair. Their is a lot of good stuff going on in the match. I feel they tell a story and some if it's really interesting, while other parts didn't resonate . Both men played their roles well. Nikita's pacing didn't bother me I just felt his offense could have been a little more high impact to merit the pace he was working and how much Sting was selling for. The story of Nikita working over the ribs was fine. I loved the finish.

Pete & Pete, thanks as always for the added insight.

Pete F, I wouldn't say Nikita vs. Sting is too similar to Brock vs. Cena. Some of the general storyline narrative is similar (heel takes a majority of the match and whips babyface's ass), but Brock's offense in that match was so visceral and violent. I really enjoy Nikita vs. Sting but do see the criticism that Nikita's stuff on top isnt all that revolutionary or inspiring. I think the main takeaway I got is that Sting really felt like a top babyface again and on this individual show, he did feel more over and performed better than Luger. I also thought he performed better than Luger in the Superbrawl I match. I keep a running track of those two and this is the first time I can recall Sting has had a consecutive show advantage over Lex.

Another highly entertaining episode guys! It is nice to know that Evil Jim Herd and Big Dust follow up this horrific Clash with quite possibly the worst PPV of all time. I guess I will have to watch Bash 1991 before your next episode. I don't think I have seen it in its atrocious entirety since the live feed in 1991. I look forward to hearing your take on Flair leaving with the belt etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Another highly entertaining episode guys! It is nice to know that Evil Jim Herd and Big Dust follow up this horrific Clash with quite possibly the worst PPV of all time. I guess I will have to watch Bash 1991 before your next episode. I don't think I have seen it in its atrocious entirety since the live feed in 1991. I look forward to hearing your take on Flair leaving with the belt etc.

Was this really as bad as it was remembered, or just terrible because wcw decided that PN n

news shoukd go up on a scaffolding? Or was it just awful because of the ric flair debacle, and wcw not having the ability to diffuse the situation, or the wherewithal to get a title belt replacement before the ppv. My guess is that herd wanted Luger as champ so badly, and so wanted flair gone, he made it happen, unfortunately, he got all he wanted and some, cuz flair wanted to stick it to herd.