Pro Wrestling Only

Yoshinari Ogawa

Loss

I've really loved this guy in every late 90s match I've watched him in lately. I presume the reason a lot of people weren't high on him at the time was because he didn't really fit the mold of an All Japan guy. He was more of an opportunistic, undersized heel. Ogawa never really stood out in a huge way to me in the early part of the decade, but I am loving him in 1998-1999. I'm curious if the criticisms of Ogawa go beyond what I've said, because I really look forward to his matches during this time. His matches with Akiyama and Kakihara were excellent, and I also like him as the cheating pipsqueak who teams with the beloved Misawa.

Yoshinari Ogawa is my spirit wrestler right down to the zebra-print trunks and the hair. Love, love his match against Kobashi for the GHC Title in 2003, it is my favorite puroresu match of the 00s. Misawa and Ogawa pull out a really great match out of KENTAFuji! I can see why he was criticized for the reasons you mentioned, but those are the reasons to love him because he brings such a refreshing dynamic to All Japan. I cant wait to watch Ratboy in 1998 and 1999.

Ogawa did quite some fun things in NOAH. Appart from the Kobashi title match (one of the top three defenses of Kobashi's run) there is also Ogawa's title run, which included good to great matches against Taue and Takayama. Also every time he was in the ring with Doug Williams he seemed super motivated. Probably he is a fan of british wrestling or something. There is also Untouchables vs. MaruKENTA and Untouchables vs. Dark Agents.

I think the appeal of Ogawa is in the way he approaches things. In a lot of 2000s puroresu you have a ton of "FIGHTING SPIRIT" Kobashi wannabes running around just hitting each other over and over again. And late 90s All Japan was definitely an odd place for him to really break through given the style differences, but I think that's his hook. When you watch an Ogawa match, you're getting something you're not going to see from anyone else. A well-played heel who is both chickenshit and willing to take on guys way bigger than him in a really believable manner. It's not like KENTA, with all his sprinting around and no-selling or Marufuji with his completely unbelievable offense. I love his cocksure persona to go with it as well. Don't know if you've watched it yet, Loss, but there is a Vader RWTL match against the Untouchables that has Vader suplexing Ogawa all the way across the ring. Tough little bastard to boot.

• 3 months later...

GHC Heavyweight Champion Jun Akiyama vs Yoshinari Ogawa - NOAH 4/7/02

This did not make the nominations for the Best of Japan project and I wouldn't have it in my Top 100 for the decade, but as a newfound Ogawa fan this is a real cool moment. I thought this was a smart way to actually have Akiyama drop the belt without losing any face. It was clear that the plan was for Kobashi going forward in 2003 and beyond and NOAH did the rare three transitional champions. The money was clearly in Misawa/Kobashi torch passing, but Akiyama losing to Misawa in an "epic" would have hurt Akiyama and shown regression. Takayama is an invader heel so you don't want him going over Misawa, but he is perfect to drop the belt to Misawa. It is similar to how All Japan would use a gaijin transitional champion, but how to get the belt on him? Enter Rat Boy!

This is not as good as their amazing 1998 match, but it was not supposed to be, It was supposed to be Akiyama underestimating his opponent and falling prey to a flash pin. They built the match perfectly. I loved how Ogawa unleashed the full court press early with a ton of backdrop drivers. It makes the fans think ok that was his big "teased" finish now that is over, Akiyama will kick ass win. Akiyama kick ass with usual vicious set up moves. Ogawa gets a couple roll up attempts. Ok nothing unusual. Akiyama starts rattling the Exploders, well this was surprisingly short match, but hey good win for Akiyama. Roll through on the Exploder, HOLY SHIT, OGAWA JUST WON THE MATCH! I love Ogawa selling the surprise that the ref actually counted three. It is a really well booked match to blindside the viewer with the finish. Long Live Rat Boy! ***