Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-01-04-WCW-Nitro] Goldberg arrested

Loss

• 2 months later...

This is HORRIBLY produced. The cops tell Goldberg they have a warrant for his arrest and he just keeps YELLING AND YELLING AND YELLING that whatever it is is untrue before the cops even have a chance to explain the issue. He comes across as a Grade A asshole, and not at all in the cool Steve Austin way. He starts rambling about defamation of character. This is TERRIBLE! Goldberg makes sure we know this is WRONG! Ugh. Nash comes out to protest and sees someone laughing off camera. It's Hogan.

Next segment, we find that Goldberg is under arrest for aggravated stalking and Elizabeth filed charges against him.

Next segment, Liz is questioned about what happens. The cops are actually pretty decent in this segment and Liz tries but this is one case where WWF overscripting is a welcome change, because she seems at a loss over what to say.

• 1 month later...

This feels like something that should be on Melrose Place or some Soap Opera. Just awful between the cop that keeps looking in the camera, the cop that is Goldberg's Friend and should be kicked off the case and Goldberg himself. I got a laugh out of Goldberg saying "You know what I do for the Kids Jack" The cops should have hit him with nightsticks.

• 6 months later...

If I didn't know any better I'd think that the objective of this whole storyline was to bury Goldberg. Ending the streak was part one. Now they've got him doing some horrible acting and acting like an asshole in this godawful segment. Nobody ever got over as a badass by whining about defamation of character.

• 1 year later...

WHATEVER IT IS, I'M INNOCENT. LIKE I SAID. NOT ANY ONE OF YOU GUYS, OR COLLECTIVELY, ALL OF YOU. I don't want to shit on Goldberg, because this is like the alleged Einstein quote about judging a fish by its ability to climb trees. He's totally being set up to fail. Actually the jarring thing about this is that for a big musclehead he's pretty well-spoken, so he's dropping all this polysyllabic vocabulary in the middle of this angry off-the-cuff rant, which is rather amusing.

Goldberg is hauled to the precinct without being told what the charge is, which probably violates some sort of protocol. Nash is out to protest. And Hogan is here, still clinging to this Presidential run.

The charge: aggravated stalking. Filed by Elizabeth Labetsky. What a twist!

Speaking of people not suited for speaking off the cuff, we have Liz herself. The saving grace is that at least here she's *supposed* to be a bad actress.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-01-04-WCW-Nitro] Goldberg arrested