Pro Wrestling Only

TNA Ratings Out

Mad Dog

From the Observer site:

TNA Wrestling?s Saturday night debut on Spike TV drew a .8 rating, which translates to roughly 850,000 viewers. The show remained consistent in the ratings throughout the show, peaking in the final quarter-hour for the segment involving Team 3-D, Kevin Nash, Jeff Jarrett, etc.

Not a bad start. Keeping people throughout the entire show is a positive sign for them. They outperformed Velocity.

Not a bad start at all, considering there weren't really expectations in place for the show to begin with. Maintaining an audience throughout the show is also a good thing. They should make their short-term goal to reach a 1.0 and then go from there.

They could probably rake in even more money doing "Best Of" PPVs from past shows for $14.95-$19.95 or something. A series of 2-hour specials to get viewers caught up on the promotion's history.

Also, I'm assuming the budget would be thrown out of whack if a bidding war eventually started between WWE and TNA over talent. But I'm assuming we're years away from a possibility of that even happening, unless TNA somehow secured Goldberg, Lesnar, Rock and Jericho.

WWF ignores TNA talent for the most part. They've had shots at just about everyone in the promotion at some point but have passed on everyone. They just prefer sending legal threats.

TNA's been smart in that they have everyone under written contracts so the WWF can't touch them. I think a lot of the contracts came up last month so they're probably locking everyone up for another 2-3 years.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

As far as "Best of" stuff goes theres several DVD sets that were released in store jus this week. Theyve been available at Highspots for a few months now, along with action figures and other TNA merchandise.

Guest KingPK

I'd like to see a show on Spike akin to "UFC Unleashed" with TNA showing the best matches from their past, but putting out DVDs is the more financially sound way to go.

Total Nonstop Action Wrestling appears to have found a solid niche on Spike TV. Ratings for last Saturday night?s Impact telecast rose by five percent from its Oct. 1 debut to a .82, which translates to 740,000 households and 994,000 viewers. The viewership also rose significantly in the male 18 to 49 demographics that is Spike?s target audience.

We hope to have more ratings news posted later today.

Great news for TNA and wrestling fans, not only did they not lose any ratings from their debut show, they actually gained a few.

That is absolutely fantastic news seeing as how everyone was predicting a good sized drop from last week. I wonder how the replay from last night did.

I thought this week's show was a mixed bag but there was more good than bad and they have me really interested in seeing where the tapings tonight are headed.

If they really wanna bring in the viewers, they should really push Joe and have him destroy Jarrett or Nash or both. Joe will build an audience and that audience will believe that he could legit crush the other feds' champs, like with Taz in ECW.

The problem with Joe is that he's not as much of a monster if he's facing someone like Nash. Also despite TNA pushing the X division as not having a weight limit, it kinda stands out that Joe's the only fat guy and the rest of the group are built like cruisers. Joe's easily on my top five current favorite wrestlers, but they're running the risk of booking him into a box where he ends up frozen out of the world title picture.

I just wonder what happened to the Naturals. I know they were at the NWA Anniversary Show but having your main tag program not involve the champs is a WWE kind of move.

Guest WidowsPeak

I just wonder what happened to the Naturals. I know they were at the NWA Anniversary Show but having your main tag program not involve the champs is a WWE kind of move.

The Naturals will be on next week's show, according to the preview...

That's great news.  Slowly climbing to that 1.0 mark.

From what I've gathered by reading interviews, the Carters have a solid game plan laid out for TNA. They seem to know that the goal isn't to immediately go head to head with WWE but to gain back some of that audience that liked wrestling but not the WWE product. They aren't trying to set PPV records, just keep taking baby steps to slowly establish themselves to fans.

As long as Spike doesn't get skittish and pull the rug out from under them, I think TNA has a solid shot to establish themselves.

Well they pulled the rug out from ECW when Raw became available, and they made the announcement they were parting ways with Raw in the middle of WWE's negotiations with other networks (which was part of a bigger shittiness contest, but still), so Spike has a history of being flighty with wrestling programs.

From Alex Marvez at the WO:

Total Nonstop Action Wrestling appears to have found a solid niche on Spike TV. Ratings for last Saturday night?s Impact telecast rose by five percent from its Oct. 1 debut to a .82, which translates to 740,000 households and 994,000 viewers. The viewership also rose significantly in the male 18 to 49 demographics that is Spike?s target audience.

We hope to have more ratings news posted later today.

The problem with Joe is that he's not as much of a monster if he's facing someone like Nash. Also despite TNA pushing the X division as not having a weight limit, it kinda stands out that Joe's the only fat guy and the rest of the group are built like cruisers. Joe's easily on my top five current favorite wrestlers, but they're running the risk of booking him into a box where he ends up frozen out of the world title picture.

I think that TNA didn't want to get them lost in the shuffle. They have established two big tag angles involving homegrown with known stars. The Naturals have been addressed in Video and by AMW in their promo. I think it would have been a bad move to push them on tv just to have them on TV. Now they are pushing the tag team contenders before re-pushing the champs. I will hold off final judgement until they are brought on Spike.

On Joe; no, he isn't a monster compared to Nash but he will look alright against the other 90% of the roster.

Guest WidowsPeak

The second edition of TNA's Impact on Spike TV rose 5% in the ratings to a.82, with 740,000 households tuning into the show. The major success was a rise in the male demographics. In Males 18-49, the show scored a .9 with 455,000 households, a 21% increase from their debut week. In Males 18-34, they scored a .9 with 225,000 households, a 23% increase from last week.

In the Males 18-34 demographic, TNA's quarter hour ratings grew from 11:15 through the end of the show, peaking with a .9 rating from 11:45 PM to Midnight for Team 3-D vs. America's Most Wanted, so there were fans who tuned in and stayed with the show upon recognizing the former Dudley Boyz.

In comparing the ratings with WWE Velocity a month ago, TNA's rating was 48% higher, while they scored 69% stronger in Males 18-49, and 61% stronger in Males 18-34.

We should have the ratings for the TNA Monday night replay later today, although the holiday yesterday may delay those ratings. TNA will tape their third and fourth episodes of Impact tonight at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. PWInsider.com will have complete coverage later today.

http://www.pwinsider.com