Pro Wrestling Only

Bret Hart DVD

Marty

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crucifixio Jones

That's sad because that's one of the matches on this set I wanted to watch the most. I thought it was just my copy or maybe the computer that I initially watched it on. But when I got it home to my standalone I was pissed. Yes, it's true. The audio for that match is ass. Fuck.

• 2 months later...
Guest Bruiser Chong

Bumping this because I just picked it up for 10 bucks used. Made it through the main feature, plus the matches against DBS, Dibiase, Perfect (SS '91), and the Rockers.

It's annoying that they're too cheap to fork royalties over to Ventura, since it meant Vince was "alone" on the Rockers match. I think I heard Ventura's voice on there twice, though. When Hart enters the ring, you hear a somewhat low-pitched, "And in comes the technician."

There's no commentary on the Dibiase match, which is weird, since I believe it's the same match from the Best of the WWF Vol. 19. Can't remember who was in the booth for that one, though.

Since Bret was my favorite wrestler as a kid (next to only Hogan), the main feature was a treat to go through. I wish more time had been devoted to his later tag team and early singles years, but all things considered, you can see why they had to gloss over it.

Hearing Bret talk about the Summerslam '92 match was interesting, since we've heard so much about DBS being blown up almost right away. I hadn't noticed the blown spots, though. Hearing Bret talk about them and then seeing them made me wonder how I could've missed them before.

I've seen the match with Perfect dozens of times and probably have a biased view on it. It was my first PPV and I recall that being the match that made me beg my mom to order Survivor Series when they ran a promo during the show. Their KOTR match is better, but the SS match is still a personal favorite. With Hennig in as much pain as he was, I still can't believe all of the bumping he did for Bret.

The match selection's a nice mix, although there are naturally some matches I would've loved to see there. Matches from Summerslam '89 and '90 are both fantastic; doesn't make much sense that the latter wasn't included for historical reasons.

At this rate, I'll probably finish the set up by weekend's close, but looks like another great job from the boys in the home video department.