Pro Wrestling Only

Bret Hart DVD

Marty

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not. Lawler is awful on these DVDs. He's more concerned with putting himself over than whoever it is he's supposed to be talking about and he comes across like a moron because he totally kayfabes it while everyone else tows the line between work/shoot a lot better, Arn Anderson and Michael Hayes having the perfect balance when they speak.

Why didn't they add another disc to this set? It's not like the company is averse to releasing multi-disc sets.

You'd think Bret would have requested it once it started to be clear not everything would fit. Someone who's so bent on wanting his life story in wrestling told the way he wants it should have made sure there was enough time to tell all of it.

True, Sek, but remember: The set's 3 discs as it is, and that may have been the original plan, at least since Bret agreed to participate with the project. Considering that they were working on a tight deadline with all the changes, I imagine that a 4th disc may have been asking too much from a production team that was already worked to the bone after all of Bret's changes. I think they wanted to keep the deadline too, for the sake of the release date (it's close enough to Christmas).

Guest Dangerous A

I wonder on the section about coming up with the sharpshooter if Bret will give credit to Konnan for showing it to him or that Riki Choshu was doing it way before he was or if he'll say his dad showed him.

Hart gave credit to Konnan for showing him how to do the hold in a newspaper column before. He did know of the hold previously however. He just wanted a course on how to apply the hold so it's certainly possible that he can give credit to different people and be right on both accounts.

And is the Bret Hart vs Hakushi match really from In Your House or is that a mistake? Because I know Bret always prefered the Raw match between the two.

Guest cawthon777

Just to name some matches, while looking at my collection, here are some matches on some DVDs that are arguably head-scratchers (for whatever reason) as far as DVD additions go (I'm ignoring first-ever matches, first-ever MSG matches, or anything of that sort):

- Bloodbath (Steel Cage): Sammartino vs. Koloff (Sammartino-Koloff is very unwatchable)

- Hogan: 1-on-2 heel Hogan squash

- Austin (Stone Cold Truth): w/Pillman vs. Flair/Anderson (Clash XXIII) (There's likely a better Blonds match out there)

I agree with what you said but this might help explain perhaps why they were included:

- Sammartino / Koloff was the first cage match at MSG

- The Hogan squash was his WWF TV debut, IIRC

- The Blondes did have better matches but none were as high profile as that. That was Flair's WCW in-ring return.

I don't think they should always seek to put the best possible matches on every set. Sometimes, they need to shoot for historical significance. I'm glad they didn't put five Owen Hart matches on this set, for example, even if they're all great. It gives them a chance to cover Bret's career with a better narrative perspective and in clearer fashion.

I still think they need to oversaturate the hell out of the DVD market even more than they already are. They could make a killing going all out and releasing complete MSG shows on the cheap or doing "complete seasons" of RAW, Nitro, etc. At this rate, they still won't have everything I want them to release released before I die. There should be more than 5-6 retrospective DVDs per year -- it should be more like 25-30.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Local Jobber R

I would pay good money for entire NWA PPVs and just editions of Saturday Night and Worldwide on DVD.

Starrcade, Great American Bash, and Clash of Champions?

Guest Some Guy

I still think they need to oversaturate the hell out of the DVD market even more than they already are. They could make a killing going all out and releasing complete MSG shows on the cheap or doing "complete seasons" of RAW, Nitro, etc. At this rate, they still won't have everything I want them to release released before I die. There should be more than 5-6 retrospective DVDs per year -- it should be more like 25-30.

The odd thing is that it would be cheaper and much easier for them to release a Nitro season set or Best of Nitro than it would be to do Raw because of all the blurring and editing needed to block out "WWF" references.

They really need to put more WCW footage out on DVD. Most WWE fans have never really seen WCW. I think enough time has passed that they can finnally admit that WCW had some really good aspects of it at various times.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SweetMama Scaat

I saw it at Best Buy for 27.99 before tax. Highspots has it 21.99 before S + H. It appears to come pacakaged the way the Flair set did. But not as sturdy. The outside of one set was bent with the side sticking out, like a box thats been pressed down.

Guest Some Guy

I got it at FYE for 22.99 (it'll br 17.99 after I send in the rebate). It came with a WWE skull cap, which is too big for my head and I would never wear in the first place. The DVD is packaged exactly like the Flair one.

I've only watched the main program and the extra interview clips on the first disc. The way they splice the footage is funny at times. Bret basically calls Vince a lousy bastard and says that he doesn't forgive him or regret punching him. They cut to Vince who says that he feels there is regret on both sides about the incidents in Montreal.

Vince constantly tries to spin everything, while Bret stays consistant and repeats the same things he's been saying for 8 years. Montreal was not a big topic of discussion, nor was Owen, really. Most of the DVD (as it should have been) was about Bret's in ring career. Vince comes across the same way he always does. Bret, like in his WOL interview comes across as rather conceited. "I could have a credible match with anyone."

Bret breaksdown about 4 times during the program and the extras. Talking about Owen, his stroke, Rick Rude, and a couple of other things. He came across as a guy who, despite having a great career really feels that it was all sullied by Montreal and as someone who is very bitter about not getting the send off that he felt he deserved. It's kind of sad that he can't fully put things in perspective and realize that his fans don't think of Bret being "screwed" in Montreal or Owen's death as defining his career. Unfortunately, no matter what he says, I think that he feels it does.

Got the set, watching the second disc now, and something you guys should know:

It's funny the things that happen when you have a rushed production deadline. At the end of the Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect SummerSlam 91 match, they forgot to edit the graphic that says "New WWF Intercontinental Champion" like they normally would with these releases. Oops!

Anyways, my recommendation, for those who want the DVD, is to get the set as soon as possible. This set will be off the shelves once the wrong people notice that botch.