Pro Wrestling Only

Bret Hart DVD

Marty

I'm referring back to this thread for the dates of the matches. The news below is via PWAdAndSpyware.com.

THE BRET HART STORY: THE BEST THERE IS, THE BEST THERE WAS, THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE

The DVD features the usual career piece as well as the following:

Matches:

1. The Hart Foundation vs. The British Bulldogs

2. The Hart Foundation vs. The Killer Bees

3. Bret Hart vs. Ricky Steamboat

4. Bret Hart vs. Ted Dibiase

5. The Hart Foundation vs. The Rockers

6. Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect

7. Bret Hart vs. The British Bulldog

8. Bret Hart vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (Spanish Commentary)

9. Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect (King of the Ring 93)

10. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart

11. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (29/9/94)

12. Bret Hart vs. Hakushi

13. Bret Hart vs. Kevin Nash

14. Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog

15. Bret Hart vs. ?Stone Cold? Steve Austin

16. Bret Hart vs. Chris Benoit

Also:

~ The Kiwis are interviewed on Stampede Wrestling

~ Dean Hart Tribute

~ You Start the Fire Music Video

~ Bret Hart pays tribute to his colleagues that have passed away

~ Bret discusses the origin of the dungeon

~ Bret discusses being away from home on Halloween

~ Bret on friendships formed in the Hart Foundation

~ Bret on the origin of the Sharpshooter

~ Bret tell how Owen crank-called Stu Hart

~ The Family Tree

~ Learning the ropes

~ Sunglasses

~ Being a Villain

~ Real matches

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Silvervision

Seeing as Silvervision is usually pretty accurate, this seems like a pretty good list, even if some matches that should've been in (Hello, Canadian Stampede main event!) were left out. I have no complaints, though.

Posted Image

He traveled the globe for the better part of two decades, winning the coveted WWE Championship as well as millions of fans. Born into wrestling royalty and fulfilling his destiny with the straight-laced attitude and finely tuned technical ability. Fans identified with his no-nonsense style and many of his peers call him one of the technical wrestlers of all time. A worldwide Superstar, he achieved the ultimate goal in sports-entertainment and suffered unimaginable personal tragedies. The is the Bret Hart story.

Hear from Bret Hart himself as he takes you through his early years with Stampede Wrestling, the Hart Foundation, his reign as WWE Champion, internal family feuds, Survivor Series 1997, WCW, the death of his brother, Owen Hart, and much more.

Hart Foundation vs. British Bulldogs (Madison Square Garden, 13/07/85)

Hart Foundation vs. Killer Bees (Madison Square Garden, 17/02/86)

Bret Hart vs. Ricky Streamboat (Boston Garden, 08/03/86)

Bret Hart vs. Ted DiBiase (Odessa, TX, 08/03/89)

Hart Foundation vs. Rockers (Saturday Night's Main Event, 28/04/90)

WWE Tag Team Championship Match

Hart Foundation vs. Nasty Boys (Wrestlemania VII, 24/03/91)

WWE Intercontinental Match

Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect (SummerSlam, 26/08/91)

WWE Intercontinental Match

Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog (SummerSlam, 29/08/92)

Bret Hart vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (Barcelona, Spain, 24/04/93)

King of the Ring Semi-Final Match

Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect (King of the Ring, 13/06/93)

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (Wrestlemania X, 20/03/94)

WWE Championship Match

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (White Plains, NY, 29/09/94)

Bret Hart vs Hakushi (In Your House, 14/05/95)

WWE Championship Match

Bret Hart vs. Diesel (Survivor Series, 19/11/95)

WWE Championship Match

Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog (In Your House, 17/12/95)

Submission Match

Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin (Wrestlemania 13, 23/03/97)

WWE Championship Match

Bret Hart vs. Undertaker (One Night Only, 20/09/97)

Owen Hart Tribute Match

Bret Hart vs. Chris Benoit (WCW Nitro, 04/10/99)

Canadian Stampede and SS97 are probably the two most memorable matches in Bret's WWF career and neither are on the list.  Yet we get a Harts vs Killer Bees match, which I'm sure is technically sound and all, but c'mon.

"Two most memorable matches" is very, very debatable. Owen Hart WM X, British Bulldog SummerSlam 91, Shawn Michaels WMXII, and Steve Austin WM13 all say hello.

Anyways, Bret reportedly had creative control over the project and, assuming he did, I can see why he narrowed the matches to either singles or tag battles. There aren't many Hart Foundation matches that stand out like a sore thumb, but it's no secret that Bret looks back on those days as a great time of his career and a better time in general for tag teams (who can argue with him on that last part?).

Canadian Stampede is very memorable, but again, I think Bret wanted to narrow it down to singles and tag matches to display his ability to work those to a tee and leave his fans remembering that. Canadian Stampede may very well be the best 5-on-5 battle the WWE produced, but really, who can't work a five-on-five match? The biggest strength of those types of matches is its ability to hide everyone's weaknesses.

As for the Survivor Series 97 match, again, Bret had creative control, so it goes without saying that the actual match won't be on there. I'm just happy that the Iron Man match against Michaels isn't on there to eat up a large amount of time that can be used for three matches instead. It also wouldn't surprise if Vince talked Bret out of putting that match on there for other options, since it's no secret Bret loves the match as much as Shawn does, and it was reported by Meltzer that it, along with Austin WM13, Owen WMX, Bulldog SS92 and Hennig SS91 were all almost shoe-ins to be on the set.

I certainly understand why Bret wouldn't want the ss97 match on the set, but talking about his career and not showing that match is like doing a story about Bill Clinton and not talking about Monica. In fact, not showing it just adds to the "elephant in the room" aura of the whole event.

Plus I thought for sure the 10 man tag would make it since Bret was/is such a mark for anything that enhances his Canadian-ness. Isn't it kind of egocentric of Bret to not include that match since it doesn't show off his skills enough?

I agree it was important to have some Hart Foundation matches, but I could grab any Coliseum Video from the 80s and find a more worthy Harts match than the Killer Bees one.

Guest MJHimJfadeaway23

I certainly understand why Bret wouldn't want the ss97 match on the set, but talking about his career and not showing that match is like doing a story about Bill Clinton and not talking about Monica. In fact, not showing it just adds to the "elephant in the room" aura of the whole event.

Plus I thought for sure the 10 man tag would make it since Bret was/is such a mark for anything that enhances his Canadian-ness. Isn't it kind of egocentric of Bret to not include that match since it doesn't show off his skills enough?

I agree it was important to have some Hart Foundation matches, but I could grab any Coliseum Video from the 80s and find a more worthy Harts match than the Killer Bees one.

I thought they'd discuss it and have the match on the main feature.

I'm sure they'll talk about it on the main feature and probably show at least the finish, but most people either forget or don't know that the match was going at a pretty decent clip until the You Know What happened.

I mean, the set has the Killer Bees match, 2 Bulldog matches (although one was very good) and a Hakushi match, but no matches against HBK because Bret wanted to turn this DVD into his own personal wankfest. That's probably why he doesn't want the 10 man tag on it, because Shawn's in it and he figures that one Rockers match is all the Shawn that's required on his DVD set.

Why did I think he was in that 10 man? Brain cramp on my part I guess.

Either way, I don't think there's a reason to have a Killer Bees match and both Bulldog matches included when there's several more important matches (historically and/or work wise) that could have been included.

Why did I think he was in that 10 man? Brain cramp on my part I guess.

Either way, I don't think there's a reason to have a Killer Bees match and both Bulldog matches included when there's several more important matches (historically and/or work wise) that could have been included.

True, Sek, but you can say that about many of the releases they've had the last 4 years.

Just to name some matches, while looking at my collection, here are some matches on some DVDs that are arguably head-scratchers (for whatever reason) as far as DVD additions go (I'm ignoring first-ever matches, first-ever MSG matches, or anything of that sort):

- Bloodbath (Steel Cage): Backlund vs. Hansen, Sammartino vs. Koloff (Neither are that famous, Sammartino-Koloff is very unwatchable)

- Guerrero: Survivor Series 2002 3-way tag (I think Guerrero himself said the match wasn't that good)

- Hall Of Fame 2004: JYD vs. Race at WMIII (There are probably better choices in either guys' career)

- Benoit: Sabu N2R 1994 (Highlight of Sabu breaking his neck is already in the main program. The showing of the whole match served no real purpose.)

- Hogan: vs. Perfect, SNME (The match was okay, but it wasn't even their most notable encounter), and 1-on-2 heel Hogan squash

- Foley: vs. Sandman (On the bright side, Foley's comments on the match being on the set are funny)

- Mysterio: vs. Noble in November 2002 Smackdown (Mysterio squash)

- Road Warriors: The many squashes in their early careers and the match vs. the Godwinns (last WWE titles win, but a dull match)

- RVD: vs. Jericho KOTR2002 (I liked the entry, but many argued that the Unforgiven 01 match should've been on)

- Rock (Just Bring It): vs. Booker & Shane at Unforgiven 01 (the SummerSlam match was better) and vs. Shane on Raw

- Warrior: vs. Rude (SS90) (Their SS89 match was better)

- Austin (Stone Cold Truth): w/Pillman vs. Flair/Anderson (Clash XXIII) (There's likely a better Blonds match out there)

Point is to not knock the above releases, but the odd match on a DVD that's an unremarkable choice is not a problem limited to just Bret's set.

Bret had more input in his set than anyone else, so his DVD set should have higher quality matches.

I mean, I don't have a problem with most of the matches on the set, but they really should have put all the famous/historic matches on considering it's not certain if WWE and Bret will work together like that again. It just seems like they were so cautious to not do anything to piss Bret off.

Guest Bruiser Chong

The SS '97 match wasn't even that good. And who hasn't seen the most important part by now, anyway? Obviously it's key to his career, but I guess I'm just too tired of hearing about the event that I don't care it's not on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to cawthon for posting this at Smarkschoice so I didn't have to type it out :)

From the WO:

Due to time constraints, a lot of the matches that Hart wanted on were removed, most notably the Iron Man match with Michaels. There is fear that some will think it was Hart's choice to leave it out as a slight to Michaels, when in fact, he wanted it on and WWE needed to edit to fit time, and that match was 63:00 between match and intros. There are Stampede Wrestling matches in the documentary itself, but not on the DVD as separate matches. There were a few he wanted on that were cut due to time. Also, Hart's match with the 1-2-3 Kid from Raw, which Hart really wanted on, may have been cut by the company for time reasons. Just as a trivia note. When Vince made the call to production to change the negative DVD to a positive DVD, but before Hart had sent his match requests for the DVD in, the DVD was only going to include eight matches. The focal point was going to still be the Survivor Series match with Michaels, and Hart insisted that not even be included except in highlight form. The other matches they wanted were Hart vs. Undertaker from Summer Slam (Hart nixed it because he thought the England match was better), Bret vs. Owen cage match from SummerSlam (nixed because he thought Mania and White Plains were better), Bret vs. Davey Boy from Wembley (still in), Bret vs. Piper from WrestleMania (Hart had it taken out because he thought he had better matches), Hart vs. Benoit from Toronto (Hart had it replaced by their better match in Kansas City), Hart Foundation vs. Bulldogs where Harts won the tag title (not even relaly a match because Dynamite literally couldn't walk and they did a very quick double-team and beat up on Davey - highlights air on the documentary but the match was not included and replaced by a 1985 house show match with Dynamite before his serious back injury) and Hart vs. Mr. Perfect from 1991 SummerSlam (still in). Between the documentary change, the complete overhaul of the match line-up, and the facing of deadlines, the production people worked literally 24 hours a day that last week to put it together and they deserve a ton of credit for the finished product, no matter how it turns out ... For whatever this is worth, when Hart asked Piper about his comments, because on the original piece Piper, who Hart has always been close with, was very negative. Hart wasn't really hurt by what Michaels said and Hogan, but I think it just opened his eyes to what people had always told him about Hogan. Piper did hurt. Piper told him he was just told to say bad things about him and he felt the light was on and he was just doing a promo and nothing more.

Yeah, they had a couple of brief TV matches that showed promise, but ultimately were nothing to get excited about. Austin/Michaels, just because Austin had a way of actually making HBK look like a badass in his own right, and Bret/Vader are the two feuds from that era I really wish could have happened.

I'm disappointed at Roddy Piper. He always seemed like a straight shooter type (it even cost him his job in his previous WWE run) and to justify bashing a guy he was supposedly friends with by saying he was just cutting a promo seems like a bitch move.

I'd normally agree, but I'm surprised Piper even knows that he used to be a wrestler, or where he is most of the time for that matter. Meltzer previously reported that they were asking Piper pointed questions specifically to get negative reactions from Piper. It must be doubly confusing for Roddy that this new school shooty bullshit where you break character on DVDs left him not understanding his role.