Pro Wrestling Only

[1951-01-26-Kohler Chicago] Lou Thesz vs Buddy Rogers

Loss

Thesz defends his title against Rogers in a 2 out of 3 falls match. I liked the first two falls. Lots of matwork including headlocks and body scissors. They both did a good job of selling in the holds. Both moved around, looking for ways to counter, and they didn't just lay there in the holds. I liked Thesz's alternating wrenching the ankle and elbowing Rogers in the back of the head. Thesz took an oversized bump off a shoulder block that sort of reminded me of Mr. Perfect. He won the first fall with an airplane spin, and Rogers wins the second fall after a piledriver.

Something interesting in the match was their kicking out before the referee started counting. No two and a half kickouts here. Rogers strutted some, but it was subdued compared to Flair's version. The match dragged in the third fall. They became repetitive, going back to the same holds. Neither worked with any urgency as the time limit approached. It ends with a time limit draw and a handshake between the face Thesz and the heel Rogers.

• 1 year later...

I really loved this match and didn't expect to based on some similar reviews I'd heard that have been stated previously. I especially loved the nuances that both men used, especially Thesz' little short elbows while in a hold to really sell how fucking vicious he was. Rogers had incredibly poise and that really made me see where he got the reputation that he has had now for decades. I would agree that the match began to drag and actually I've yet to see the Verne/Thesz draw so I'll be on that soon. :)

• Loss changed the title to [1951-01-26-Kohler Chicago] Lou Thesz vs Buddy Rogers
  • 1 month later...

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Low Thesz vs Buddy Rogers - Chicago 1/26/51

Im in Chicago and wanted to watch some classic wrestling.

First Fall: Tight, sensible wrestling with heel dynamics. Yes please! Loved Sweet Lou's double wristlock takedown. Loved all the ways Thesz worked through Rogers counters. Especially enjoyed Rogers feigning the snapmare only to pull out the leg. I actually thought Rogers cheated a bit too early. They could have extended Lou's shine. Lots of crowding and cheap shots from Rogers. Eventually Lou pops him good to the delight of the crowd. Headlock by Thesz. THESZ PRESS! LOU THESZ! LOU THESZ! LOU THESZ! Doesn't get the three count, man I bit on that finish. Jack Dempsey is the special ref. Thesz works a body scissors. Rogers reverses puts his feet on the ropes for two and cheap shots Lou to break the hold. Amazing body slam to counter another Thesz Press and Rogers rips Lou down. So far strong Mat fundamentals,  Rogers heel work and the Thesz Press highspot have this cooking.

Russ Davis has many funny calls but actually calling Thesz, Lez and assuring us he is not one had me rolling.

Lots of Rogers closed fists while clamping on the headlocks. Some really great selling from Thesz. I especially liked the one where Rogers back elbowed out of a headlock. Thesz sold that one great. Tackle by Rogers and Thesz goes down in a heap and it fucks up Buddys momentum. He was playing possum. Thesz gets a beautiful drop tie hold and rolls into a Toehold. Marvelous! Should have been a finish. Lots of cheap shots from Rogers, Lou catches him good with a kneelift. Airplane Spin -> FU gives the first fall to Thesz. Splendid work thus far!