Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-07-05-WCW-Nitro] Bret Hart video / Interview: Bret Hart

Loss

• 1 month later...

Because of real life circumstances, they've dropped the previous storyline with Bret and are now just turning him babyface and telling the truth. It's not a bad strategy. They talk about Owen's death in the video package preceding his interview, which is well done, although it feels like using Owen's death to turn a wrestler babyface is awfully exploitative. I'm not saying they shouldn't have, but there's something uncomfortable about it.

Bret looks awfully despondent. What a horror his life has been since 1997. He doesn't seem like he is ready to do this promo, although I'm sure it was therapeutic in some ways. He doesn't know what his next steps should be. His family has lived for wrestling and they've died for wrestling. He talks about how Elway and Gretzsky would be so happy when they'd get to hang it up, but when he looks at himself, he wouldn't feel that way. It sucks. On one hand, it's not fair to end his career on a bad note but the truth is that he just doesn't know. He needs more time. If he never gets the chance to say it again, he wants to thank his fans everywhere. He also wants to thank everyone he ever worked with. And that's that. What a sad moment.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Under the worst circumstances possible, amidst a sea of crap, WCW is forcibly dragged into putting on compelling television. Bret's "...and it sucks" line is one of the biggest gut punches ever delivered in a speech on a wrestling program (I refuse to call this a "promo"). Bret leaves his future up in the air and I have no doubt that he really doesn't know what he's going to do next at this point. This was captivating and tremendously difficult to watch at the same time, especially since we know that even from this low point, Bret's life is going to get worse before it gets better.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-07-05-WCW-Nitro] Bret Hart video / Interview: Bret Hart