Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-07-12-WCW-Nitro] Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan

Loss

• 1 month later...

Savage is doing an interview as the new WCW World Champion. Savage challenges anybody except Kevin Nash and the crowd starts chanting for Goldberg right away. Nash does not deserve a title shot because he is a zero in life. Suddenly, Hogan's music starts. Hogan points out that Savage said anybody and Savage tries to backtrack. He pays Nash some lip service and says there will be a title shot tonight. This show popped a decent one-time rating, as Hogan returns usually did. Savage is a trainwreck at this point, rambling on and on.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

May come off as bitter but once again it feels foolish to have this big WCW restart show in Jacksonville when they were in Atlanta the week before in front of 25,000 fans. Again that was a 15,000 drop from 7 months before but still feels like an appropriate setting.

Macho does a pretty bad promo and I really havent enjoyed any of this 1999 run of his which is sad to see. It is honestly as bad as Hogan in 95 to me and anything Flair did including TNA. Goldberg chants start up and we get the return of Hogan. Hogan still feels lost in the shuffle as he has his new age NWO gear still. We get a title match for the end of the show.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The NWO is just a mess at this point and I don't get why Hogan's still associating with it. Savage is horrible as he's been this entire run, and even though Hogan's return gets a pop it has to be a pretty major case of blue-balls to tease Savage vs. Goldberg (did that match ever even happen?) and give us this instead.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-07-12-WCW-Nitro] Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan
  • 2 years later...

I was at this show and while I agree they should have done their big "reset" in Atlanta, WCW clearly didn't think that far ahead to plan things like that. Having said that, Jacksonville was ALWAYS a hot crowd, even in their weak days in the early 90s (Meltzer reported that Jacksonville was WCW's most profitable city in 92 or 93) and they still drew well here in their dying days. The last WCW PPV was in Jacksonville.