Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-08-07-MPPW-TV] Kevin Christian and Doug Gilbert

Loss

• 1 month later...

Kevin Christian coming out saying he's not going to get as upset as Cornette and Hales made me laugh because of the delivery. He has words for Doug Gilbert and says he has someone to face Doug tonight who's even wilder and crazier than him. Kevin won't say the guy right away. This brings Doug out. Their personalities are so different and Kevin Christian is so weasel-y that I'm a huge fan of him right away. Doug puts his hands on Kevin before TRACY SMOTHERS attacks Doug from behind. Wolfie D tries a save and Kid Wikkid attacks him from behind. The announcers put over how crazy Tracy is. The talent jumping back and forth is really interesting.

• 6 months later...

Another jump from KAW to PPW but Smothers hadn't been in KAW in a while before this. I love that Doug's jacket has a pic of his face in the back. That's like Bill dundee's jacket where he's with Elvis that he wore for 20 years. Kevin Christian is a good second to Randy Hales as the heel.

• 8 months later...

Doug starts to throw out some worked shoot comments here I guess telling Kevin he doesn't like his father or brother. Christian is interesting in this role and feels like an evolved version of Randy Hales as heel the prior year. The Tracy stuff is good and I always welcome Smothers on my screen.

• 1 year later...

Christian is interesting as a different kind of Memphis heel. Another really good segment as Doug continues to be on fire, throwing out some eyebrow-raising comments just as I was wondering if Christian was ever acknowledged, either officially or tacitly, as related to either Lawler or Christopher. Yes, I do approve of Doug Gilbert vs. Tracy Smothers at the New Daisy.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-08-07-MPPW-TV] Kevin Christian and Doug Gilbert