Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-10-02-MPPW-TV] Randy Hales, Brian Christopher and Doug Gilbert

Loss

• 1 month later...

Brian Christopher has a suspicious additional 20 lbs or so of muscle. He shows up in the studio with a baseball bat. There's a box in the studio and because it's Memphis, Brian just knows there's someone inside and takes a bat to the box before the big reveal. But it's actually just a tape recorder with a Doug Gilbert promo on it telling Brian to find him in the parking lot. So he goes out there and Doug has taken his car. Brian runs back into the ring and takes out his frustrations on Randy Hales. Doug comes back (??) and makes the save, taking Brian's bat from him and chasing him off. This really good segment wraps up with a strong Doug Gilbert promo saying that Brian Christopher is no longer protected since he's in a company not owned by Jerry Jarrett or his daddy. He also promises to target Christopher's former torn ACL. Poor Doug - a good worker and talker, but he has a horrible look and for that reason, he never had a chance of being anything but a regional star. Brian comes back out after Doug leaves to do a strong pissed off promo. Excellent stuff.

• 8 months later...

So this is the start of what would be the end of Doug in Memphis. Real good angle with Brian playing the cocky heel from the WWF as he goes after Randy and then Doug steals his car. Gilbert cuts a crazy promo about how Brian won't be saved by his daddy anymore I think Doug is one of the more underrated guys in the history of Memphis but he was crazy and an enemy of Lawler so he didn't have much of a chance outside of Memphis.

• 2 years later...

This is one of my favorite Memphis segments this year. The box charade was well done and Doug looks so happy for himself fleeing away in the car. What really takes this over the top for me though is that Brian comes back and berates Randy Hales. This was really strong in that he feels justified for his actions but is still a prick. Doug comes back and has some shooty things to say and again is pretty rough in what he is saying, but justified. I love angles were everyone involved has picked a path that makes logical sense even if there were other avenues that could have been more peaceful. Also not knowing when THAT Doug Gilbert promo is coming is a great tease everytime he gets on the mic in front of the studio crowd.

• 2 months later...

Everything Chad said. I think Doug's original return is still PPW's high point but this might be #2. Gilbert's interview is incredible and I really want to make room for him in the list of Best Interviews at year's end. I just spoke about "twists and turns" in the Dreamer/Tajiri match thread but this takes it to a new level--every time you think this segment is ready to die down, something happens (something that *makes sense*, mind) to ramp the intensity back up again. More false finishes than an ROH main event.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-10-02-MPPW-TV] Randy Hales, Brian Christopher and Doug Gilbert