Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Stubbs

Grimmas

I think Stubbs is going to be hurt by the fact that we have no footage of Southeastern/Continental house shows. He is involved in some good TV matches and some great angles in that territory, but I think it might be tough to make a case for him as a top 100 worker without more footage. If people are going to research him they might be a little confused as to how he goes back and forth from Mr. Olympia to Jerry Stubbs so often, but pretty much if he was a babyface then he is Mr. Olympia and if he was a heel then he was just Jerry Stubbs.

The tag team and then feud with Dirty White Boy is probably the best footage we have of Stubbs in quality matches:

Part 1 of DWB/Stubbs split

Part 2

Part 3

Stubbs vs. DWB Southern Street Fight

A quick disclaimer. I love Continental. Probably my favorite southern territory, and maybe my favorite territory period. Lots of hot angles, always featured strong workrate, good tag team matches, good promos, and plenty of brawls if that's your bag. If the footage wasn't so scarce & scattered, i'd devour Continental from start to finish because I always love the stuff I see.

With that said, the problem with Stubbs is that every territory had three or four guys just like him. He doesn't stand out from the pack at all. For example, in the two tag matches above I would argue that he's the fourth best guy in both matches. I think I could run off 100 active wrestlers that are pretty easily better than Stubbs with very minimal effort, so I can't see an argument for top 100 of all time at all. He served his purpose and was an important cog here, but if you're a glue guy in a territory I think you need to be a hell of a lot better than Stubbs to be considered for something like this. Top 100 of All Time is some rare air.

I've probably seen as much Continental as anyone on this board not named KrisZ or Memphis Mark and as much as I love Jerry Stubs, I kind of have to agree that I don't see him as a Top 100 guy. I think you might be under rating him though to say that he doesn't stand out from the pack at all. If you watch the promotion in context that's really not true. He's clearly one of the best 2-3 guys that were regulars in the territory.

• 6 years later...

Continental is a rabbit hole I really want to go down. It being scattered and two territories (Knoxville vs Mobile) at once can be confusing, I am sure with a bit of effort it’d worth it. 

This is an excuse to post this blast from last Titans: https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Xp9m2uuwGnLLXdov9

I actually had to look up if I was on this one. Exit Jerry Stubbs, Enter Mr. Olympia and “I Gotta Talk To Tom” are iconic. I remember Kelly, Johnny and Pete talking so I couldn’t remember if I was on the line or if it was just a really bitchin’ experience listening in the car. I have vague memories of the footage that’s why I thought I was not it and I am! Thank you @Ricky Jackson for including me! Meant a lot then, means a lot now!

Mr. Olympia vs Chavo from Mid-South is awesome! I can’t recall any one thing he does particularly well but someone from a territory I want to watch more of.