Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-10-24-WCW-Halloween Havoc] Goldberg vs Sting

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Goldberg accepts the Sting challenge. The announcers learn during the match that this is a non-title match but Sting and Goldberg are unaware of that. Charles Robinson referees the match after taking a Diamond Cutter earlier, which is crazy stupid. This is kind of a clumsy match, with Goldberg no-selling a spear from Sting, which was an on-the-fly adjustment since Goldberg was out of position. After that, they get back on track and Goldberg shows some cool athleticism before pinning Sting after a spear and jackhammer. Goldberg thinks he's won the title and then Penzer announces Goldberg as the new champ, but Tony and Bobby kept saying this was non-title. What a mess. They've confused the announcers, so of course they're going to confuse the people.

Post-match, Sting gives Charles Robinson a scorpion death drop out of frustration. No worries, I'm sure if there was an exclusive match for the live crowd, he would have no problem refereeing it. I love Tony and Bobby trying to hide their dislike of this show and failing miserably.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The stuff with the title is like that February Hogan/Flair match. If Goldberg actually did win the title here, with all the shit on this show at least they're putting Goldberg over as the top guy again. Something tells me it's not going to work out that way though. Kind of a fun short match I though.

• 1 year later...

I liked the closing stretch of this but the sheer ridiculousness of the production and lack of communication casts a stink over this--which is frustrating because there's actually a kernel of a really good PPV here, fighting to break out from under Russo's bullshit and WCW's trademark communication breakdowns. Schiavone and Heenan are in open revolt before and after the match because nobody can be fucking bothered to clarify minor details like is this a title match or not? Not to mention how stupid they looked for remarking that there was no ref and that surely Charles Robinson wouldn't be available, two seconds before he charges into the ring fit as a fiddle. As it stands Goldberg is apparently the new WCW Champion and I have no idea how, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't last.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-10-24-WCW-Halloween Havoc] Goldberg vs Sting