Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-11-01-WCW-Nitro] Kevin Nash as Vince McMahon

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

We get a Jeff Jarrett interview to lead into this. Kevin Nash comes out and does the single worst impersonation of all time - so bad it's good. He's supposed to look like Vince McMahon and instead, he looks like Chuck Woolery. Nash does a series of Vince-isms.

Best line: "Unlike Billionaire Ted, I didn't buy my way to the top. I borrowed money!"

This is also how he introduces Scott Hall. No Russo bitterness here.

"I proudly stand behind the next WCW World Champion. Not only is he my cash cow. Not only can I continue to push him as a babyface until the fans regurgitate him. He's also the roughest SOB in WCW. And not only that, but someday he *will* work in the main event against Jeff Jarrett. He's clean, he's sober and he has more than one catchphrase - give it up for the trousersnake ... Scott Hall!"

Nash's Vince wig falls off and he has his ponytail in the back, just to make this more pathetically bad. Hall has been told one more strike and he's fired, so he isn't going to burn any bridges up North. Hall asks if he can just shoot with him and tell him who picks out his clothes. "Do you shop at Jacques C'est Penne?"

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Knowing WCW they probably had the wrong wig delivered. I did like Nash's fake laugh, but as Tim points out numerous wrestling announcers do that. And chat show hosts. Nash is being wary here not to make it too personal. He knew he'd be back up north again one day.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Jarrett insists he didn't hit Liz with the guitar. I don't see what the big deal is, Liz seems pretty with-it this week, suffering no ill effects.

Nash *sort of* has the Vince laugh down when we see him backstage on the cell phone, but the wig and make-up are terrible and he doesn't even try to do the power walk, despite Heenan claiming he recognizes it. Nash is no Brian Christopher, not even a Spellbinder. Remember those weird battery commercials from around this time with the bizarre uncanny valley-esque wind-up people? That's what Nash really looks like. Schiavone and Heenan giggle along with this because shades of gray. Nash pathetically attempts to respond to "Ass-hole!" chants that don't exist--the late-'90s version of yelling "Shut up!" at an audience that isn't saying anything. What is it about "trouser snake" that Russo goes to it *more than once* for comedy material? This might be the worst segment of multiple prior Yearbooks. In '99, this might not crack the Bottom 5.

"You gotta love the Outsiders." --Heenan, selling his soul before our eyes.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-11-01-WCW-Nitro] Kevin Nash as Vince McMahon