Pro Wrestling Only

Bobby Lashley Note

Strummer

Apparently Meltzer in the last couple of Observers has been pointing out that Bobby Lashley is becoming a HUGE ratings draw. The first three times that Lashley has appeared on Smackdown in matches the ratings have gone up substantially, like 450,000 viewers each time. The top guys don't even pull in those numbers most of the time. A potential new star in the making?

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

Does Meltzer say anything specifically about when (what time) Lashley is put on TV? I don't put a lot of stock in this kinda thing (viewers per segment) as there are so many variables. Has Meltzer done any research/examination into the accuracy of these things?

Well, actually it makes sense if you have been watching for any amount of time. If a segment sucks, you go away from the channel. If they announce someone is coming up while flipping the channels (which I have done), you make sure you stick around. You're right that you can't foreshadow when someone will be on unless you have net and spoiler access BUT if I am flipping the channels and see a segment that makes me put the remote down then I can see why they would jump.

It used to bug me during the Monday Night Wars where they'd say certain guys were the reason segments would jump in ratings. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never called friends to go put wrestling on because certain guys are on TV.

There's certain quarter-hours that always get more viewership than others, and WWE just puts guys they want to get over in those segments so they can point to the ratings and say "see, he drew the highest rating of the show" when that part of the show would always get a high rating.

Yeah, they did that with Stephanie for a long time. But those were in the days days of 2002 when we actually thought they were going to put the belt on her after Mania.

I can see the stopping point. I do the stop thing to if it's someone interesting and I could see Lashley getting some stops since he's new.

Guest EastCoastJ

It's a good thing WWE is paying attention to these indicators closely enough to realize that Velocity is a good place to stick Lashley this week.