Pro Wrestling Only

Fantastica Mania NJPW/CMLL

shoe

Um....me, and anyone else who respects lucha but isn't the biggest fan of it, or some of the patterns I've seen in 2/3 falls matches CMLL has promoted over the years. Hey, its all tastes and what people like and don't, and I respect that, but I for one am encouraged by the chance to see some of these performers outsider of their usual denizens. I've really taken a liking to Cavernario the last two weeks, so him alone would be cool to see here. I'm never going to be a massive lucha fan in practice, but I love a lot of the ideology and I'm going to try and check out the show in the next few days.

Cavernario/Okumura vs. Kushida/Triton was the best match of the first half, I thought. Gran Guerrero did better than expected. His match with Volador was basically the third fall of your modern CMLL title match that is built around big moves and tons of near falls. As far as that style goes, it was middle of the pack. Volador's wings were something.

Fun show so far up until that last match. I liked the Cavernario tag, though it was sloppy in places. Gran Guerrero got gassed minutes in and Volador Jr. doesn't seem to understand anything about wrestling other than doing cool moves.

That's really not true. Not sure what/how much Volador you've seen but that's selling him short. Obviously his dives and other big moves are his big selling point, but he's got more going for him than that. He sells fine and has a good sense of timing his comebacks. He generally places his big moves well and builds to them fine. Nobody is selling him as a top guy or anything, but I think you are selling him a bit short.

Plus, there is nothing wrong with being the guy that does a lot of cool moves as long as those moves are legitimately high end (which in Volador's case, they are).

Good recital of the Atlantis/UG match. Kinda whatever show overall, I thought the SamuraiTV one from earlier this week was much better. Hopefully Cavernario/Cometa gets a good amount of time and delivers tomorrow.

I guess I have to agree with Matt D in that I think a number of the matches on this show would've been helped by being 2/3 falls. It's especially strange to see them work the standard Mexican trios match but without the falls dividing things up.

Good stuff with some cute moments, so to speak. Atlantis and UG did well to have a good match and I think everyone liked the change of pace CMLL brought. Good to see Cavernario bust out the splash to the floor. By the time they do this next year, he'll be higher on the card, I'm sure. Definitely want to see what night 2 brings.

Cavenario vs Rey Cometa

This is a total balls to the wall highspot sprint. These guys ran through so many highspots, It was even more fun than the Fenix vs. Pentagon Jr. match from Lucha Underground. Both guys got over big to the crowd.

Yea, really fun. The exact right match for those two guys in that spot. All out sprint from the bell. There were a handful of great dives and other big spots. Cometa was awesome, especially considering he is working with one bad knee. Both guys got over to the point where you could see them being booked again sometime this year.

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kota Ibushi & Volador Jr. & Atlantis vs. Kazuchika Okada & Shinsuke Nakamura & Ultimo Guerrero & El Gran Guerrero

This was another strong match on the show. We got some fun comedy. Some holy shit moments. Some great dives, and some pairings.