Pro Wrestling Only

Fantastica Mania NJPW/CMLL

shoe

Agree with shoe on everything. Very fun show with the last two matches really delivering in addition to the Cometa/Cavernario match. The semi-main was what these shows are all about in terms of seeing guys who don't normally work together against one another in a light hearted but very entertaining match.

Spot for spot, the main event was as good of a high flying match as I have seen the past couple of years. Some of Dorada's moves in the match had such a ridiculously high level of difficulty and for the most part they pulled it all off. Sombra had some early rope issues and seemed to be favoring his leg late, but they never truly blew anything. Considering the high degree of difficulty on a lot of the moves they did, that's a very impressive feat.

I'm not sure if I got this, but Mascara Dorado is coming to NJ full time.

Really? I just enjoyed his Negro Casas match and it will be said to see him out of lucha and wrestling the depleted NJ Juniors. However, it will help to freshen up NJ so...

Yep, it's been conformed by a few different people that he signed a one year deal with NJPW. It's probably for the best, he's been a guy that has been very unhappy in CMLL over the past year from all reports.

Finished all of 1/18 in my new initiative to watch all New Japan from 2015 that makes tape:

1. Tomohiro Ishii, Gedo and Yoshi Hashi vs. Angel de Oro, Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask - Standard opening stuff but Liger and Tiger Mask matching was cute. Still with only Oro as the rare guy in there, this felt like an interchangeable six man we will see 50 times throughout the year and leaves your brain as soon as you are done watching. **

2. Cavernario Barbaro and Okumura vs. Kushida and Triton - I thought this was a good bit of fun and Okumura and Cavernario make a good team especially the Kushida and Cavernario interactions. Cavernario's dives looked good and he helped himself tremendously in getting over with the live crowd. **3/4

3. Ryusuke Taguchi, Tetsuya Naito, and La Sombra vs. Captain New Japan, Mascara Don and Mascara Dorada - Really just a comedy heavy match, some was charming, most IMO was not. Nakanishi doing his rolling backflip was the highlight for me. I can see some fans for this as seeing it as enjoyable comedy but it wasn't for me and actually featured some workers I would like to see go in Naito, Sombra, and Dorada. *1/2

4. NWA Welterweight Championship – Volador Jr. © vs. Gran Guerrero - Those wings of Volador Jr. I agree with stomper that this felt like a general third fall in title lucha. It actually showed me how though the first couple of falls can seem rushed and insiginficant at times, they can sprinkle in important narratives to the overall match as this just felt like them going out and doing some spots but it wasn't as impressive as other stuff on the show and they didn't have storyline or basis for why they were performing in this way. **

5. Mexican National Light Heavyweight Championship – Mephisto vs. Stuka Jr - Memphisto mask was disturbing to me. Stuka impressed with his dives because I can see some people being weary of him initially because of his pudgy body frame. Another run of the mill match IMO where nothing was dreadful but it wasn't really memorable either. **1/4

6. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Stigma & Mistico vs. Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Polvora - Disappointing, complete autopilot effort here. Only Naks interaction with Tana and the slight Okada/Tana stuff created any interest.. The luchadors were bit players and not smooth with their execution in this one. I thought this was the worst match of the night and by far the least sucessful one in presenting some sort of alternative. * 1/2

7. Atlantis vs. Ultimo Guerrero - If you are a cherry picker, I would say this is the only match on the show you need to watch along with maybe the Cavernario tag. This did a good job of crafting a storyline of what they have been going for since UG lost the mask as well as allowing him to get some retribution. Atlantis certainly wasn't rudo-ing it up here but there were slight tinges on his normal execution that built up sympathy for UG throughout the match and with the Korakuen hardcores that paid off when he received his victory. ***1/4

Decent show I guess overall but a lot felt pretty meh to me besides the main event. I do hope Night 2 is better.

1/19 Thoughts:

1. KUSHIDA & Tiger Mask & Jushin Liger & Stuka Jr. vs. Gedo & Yoshi-Hashi & OKUMURA & Tomohiro Ishii - I thought this was a better than usual six man opener in New Japan with Okuura's valet mixing in well and I loved the callback to the Liger/Maria spots from the World Tag League. Stuka was still getting big pops for his dives and most of the Chaos side was there to make the others look good. **3/4

2. Captain New Japan & Triton vs. Tetsuya Naito & Ryusuke Taguchi - I was ready to hate this a tone with Taguchi doing the Pharaoh gimmick again but he added some new wrinkles and this was a lot of fun. I have to give credit to Captain New Japan. He is easy to make fun in the context of New Japan based on appearance but is not bad at all for a lower card guy keeping the crowd engaged on the undercard of a show. Matches like these help build a show from being good to very good based on their surprise factor. **1/2

3. Stigma & Angel de Oro vs. Mephisto & Yujiro Takahashi - Pretty blah match that really stuck out on this card overall. This would just have felt like one of many the night before or from the 1/13 FantasticMania show that has surfaced but on this night, it felt really generic and lackluster. Yujiro along with Omega is my two least favorite New Japan regular guys. *1/2

4. Rey Cometa vs. Barbaro Cavernario - Awesome match that is all you want from a spotfest. I don't think it was great technically but the dives, crowd factor, and out of control feeling made it stand out not only on this tour but in the entire month of January which is a month receiving high praise for its quality worldwide. I don't think it is a MOTYC and we haven't seen some stuff getting a lot of pub (the Philly ROH 6-man main event), but I would have no problem calling this a top 5 match of the month of what I have seen. ***3/4

5. Mistico vs. Polvora - The new Mistico just doesn't have any of the ancillary factors that made the original so cool and fresh back in 2005 and 2006. This was generic singles lucha with Polvora on top clubbering down Mistico and him making comebacks in lackluster fashion. **1/4

6. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kota Ibushi & Volador Jr. & Atlantis vs. Kazuchika Okada & Shinsuke Nakamura & Ultimo Guerrero & Gran Guerrero - A really good match that mixed in spots and more depth than these throwaway 8 man tags sometimes feel. Everyone had a chance to shine and develop some of the upcoming feuds that will still be in the forefront of the respective promotions. Tanahashi seemed motivated in a multi-man match which is a welcome change and Ibushi vs. Okada and Nakamura is a pairing I hope to see a lot more of in New Japan as the year progresses. ***1/4

7. Mascara Dorada vs. La Sombra - Sombra's outfit was so bad ass and just oozed charisma. This had some really complicated and intricate spots and they mostly held it all together. On top of that, they told a fairly compelling story and Dorada was able to pick up a big victory before announcing that he was in New Japan for the full year. A really good main event to cap off a really good show. ***1/2

I have no problem calling this the second best New Japan show of the year and it was really good overall with only a couple of matches that missed the mark.