Pro Wrestling Only

Ron Wright RIP

MikeCampbell

Pro Wrestling legend Les Thatcher posted the following...

"Just heard that Ron Wright passed away this morning. One of the greatest heels I ever worked with & an East Tennessee legend. Please keep the family in our prayers. He will be cutting those great promos up stairs. God bless with love & respect!"

One of the most interesting things about Ron Wright is that during his whole wrestling career he had a full time day job working at a press in Kingsport. This is why he never wrestled anywhere outside of East TN. After seeing a couple pictures of him all bloody battling Whitey Caldwell you wonder how many times he showed up to his day job looking like hell.

I would have loved to see a run of this guy in his prime. He is an absolutely fascinating character. If he worked bigger territories, he'd be remembered as an all-time great. He seems like an awesome heat machine.

Not exactly what you're looking for. But, SMW TV aired several segments featuring the history of wrestling in Knoxville, all of which are included on the Wrestling Gold DVD version of the show, and one of them contains a Ron White studio interview.

Edit: Here it is!

Jim Cornette had Les Thatcher on his Podcast and they discussed Ron Wright in depth, with plenty of great stories, and Jim's usual favorite talking point of how great it was when the fans weren't smart to the business. Apparently, the youtube clip I posted is the only footage in existence of Ron Wright in his prime.

• 2 weeks later...