Pro Wrestling Only

Did dX Rip Off of nWo?

Guest Steffie

Guest Steffie

Many would say so, mostly WCW fans, and some who are WWE fans would say no.

So I guess I'm a bit biased, but I dont think dX is a rip off of nWo. Maybe WWE's answer to nWo, but not really following its steps, since dX is more about attitude than having members and beating others up. Hell, I dont think they even beat others up unless necessary, being the usual heels that they are...

Want an obvious rip-off? Goldberg to Austin... not entirely, but look at the same looks they have, and pushed Goldberg to the moon just to have the same attention Austin is having...

Your thoughts...

DX was more based in shock value, but there are definite NWO elements in place. When Mike Tyson revealed a DX t-shirt under his normal shirt, it was hard to say it wasn't a copy.

Mr. McMahon was also in some ways a ripoff of Bischoff's on-air persona as the evil authority figure, but he did it in much better fashion and was a huge draw in the role as well.

I thought Goldberg was an Austin ripoff initially, but after seeing more of him, he came across more as a Nikita Koloff/Ken Shamrock hybrid ripoff.

It also spoke volumes about how WCW had been passed by when the cool guys who stood up to authority and played by their own rules were considered heels in WCW, while the cool guys who stood up to authority and played by their own rules were considered faces in the WWF. It was obvious which side had the greater appeal to a teenage audience -- the same side that swore that they didn't market sex to children while selling action figures of their stars. That's another discussion, though.

Goldberg was a jewish former football player. Austin was a redneck with a wrestling backround. The only reason people compared them was because they were both bald and wore black.

Hell, Goldberg didn't even talk for a long time. He dominated his matches too. Austin would sell and went about 50/50 in his matches.

I never understood why people compared the two. It was a freak accident that Goldberg even got over. WCW didn't know about the streak until people starting making signs and shit. Glacier was the one with the initial streak. Then they started a streak with Wrath too. Both ran into the wrecking ball that was Goldberg.

Guest Some Guy

DX didn't really rip off the nWo as such they did start doing the same mannerisms as Hall, Nash, and Syxx. They took things that three members of the the nWo, who happened to be their best friends did and made it cooler because it became their gimmick, where as the Wolfpac was still stuck having to be in the far less cool nWo (guys like Hogan, Norton, Savage, and others had no clue what cool was at that time).

DX took the hand signs and brought it to another level. I alway thought that they needed another member to really get the group established. They had two workers (Shawn and HHH) and two body guards (Rude and Chyna), if WWF could have some how gotten Hall adn put him in the group it would have been bigger than it was. Hall and Shawn came across as the most original and coolest of the Kliq and the most Degenerate.

When Goldberg first came in I saw him as a Stone Cold ripoff because of the look (bald headed white guy with a goatee and black trunks/boots) but after a few months started to realize that he was more of a Austin/Shamrock/Kolloff/Warrior hybrid. Golberg worked a totally different style from Austin so after one got past the look there were very few similarities until Russo starting booking him in to be the oppressed employee fighting the overbearing asshole booker.

GH is right. Goldberg's moves generally looked cool and he did most of them well considering his lack of experience. I know that he hurt La Parka with a low spear and a few other guys by because he was so green.

Guest Bruiser Chong

It also spoke volumes about how WCW had been passed by when the cool guys who stood up to authority and played by their own rules were considered heels in WCW, while the cool guys who stood up to authority and played by their own rules were considered faces in the WWF. It was obvious which side had the greater appeal to a teenage audience -- the same side that swore that they didn't market sex to children while selling action figures of their stars. That's another discussion, though.

It didn't begin that way, though. WWF woke up and realized they were sitting on a cash cow in the form of DX, but it took about a year of promoting them as heels for them to take proper action.