Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Project General Chatter Thread

rainmakerrtv

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be in for an entire 1984 draft and if people want it soon, that is fine. I think the new promotions could really still use the talent that is available. My only concern would be roster size. After completing this current draft, I do not have many roster spaces available. Could we move up the dates that we were going to be able to add 2 wrestlers to the date of that draft.

Personally I'm against upping the roster size for another 6-12 months, how many guys to people actually need? 36 to me is enough, also if the roster sizes become too big there won't be enough for new writers to choose from if they start up a new promotion..

I agree 36 is fine but we just went through a draft and started plans for our roster of 36 and now we are proposing another draft right away with up to 20 great people. It seems unfair that plans would have to be scrapped and cut wrestlers before we get a chance to run our angles but with the big names on the board for a 1984 draft that is what we would have to do. If we keep the roster size the same, I propose going back to the monthly drafts. This way we could allow our current roster to play out angles before we have to cut people we just drafted.

The reason we were going to increase our roster to 40 by the end of the year was to allow for growth. I believe the growth was in the Fresh face draft but now we are proposing this draft we no growth and no time to use our brand new talent. Maybe we can do what Lowblow had said in a recent post and hold the draft Mid-year.

Me being the one off here because I would use the rookie draft to bolster my roster and as everyone saw I have 2 guys I would draft. I do see what the others are saying. This will be my first time with a roster of 36 and I might struggle a little bit at first. Once I have my full roster in place and figure out what to do with everyone it should be good. A one thing new to me is Japan shows. I have never considered this in other leagues and as frustrating as it is to me I kind of like the feel of it. We are actually following a sense of 1983/84 and other leagues were just fantasy and the only resemblance to the year we were in were the rookies.

I myself have no problem with waiting to mid year for the draft because most rookies will not be getting a major push so if they started in January and we did not draft until July then maybe that wrestler decided to be on the independents or over seas somewhere. We can make the storyline.

I leave this up to everyone else and I will work this however it needs to be done.

One other thing that came to mind last night. I am seeing the advantage of the bigger roster can help with Japan tours but the idea of injury angles can happen and you still have the back up of wrestlers. Also this is the first league that has such an open policy of wrestlers on loan, which is awesome.

Sorry as I ranted a little but getting excited to start the new year with a bang!

I appreciate the feedback guys. I think everyone has a good point on the drafts. Those of us int he draft just had our influx and as you can see from the fresh face lists... there definitely needs to be some research done to boost those numbers as there had to be more people who started off in some of those months. I don't think there needs to be a poll but this is an easy place to just put your opinion.

I do think we move this draft to May and start it on May 1st. That gives those of us who just drafted time to maneuver people around and build that talent. Then we can draft in May and start the guys out in June. Then we could do the 85 draft in January of next year and keep that system in place as long as the project continues.

What if there were 2 or 3 "fresh face" drafts per year? Like, all the rookies from Jan/Feb/March/April go into that May 1 draft? And then another one in the fall?

Plus I'm assuming there'll be some turnover in promotions and writers over the course of the next five months, it's only natural. You could combine that fresh face draft with a dispersal of dead promotions draft (if necessary) as well.

I like that idea Dex... almost align it with the roster cap bumps to give everyone at least 1 free rookie and if they want more they will have to drop. So like April 1st, we would have a draft in which everyone from January through April would be available and then another in July.

Now with bias, I am going to not be overly big on this idea as there is no hiding the fact that I will draft Gino Hernandez and instead of being able to use him in May, I know have to wait three more months and he's already on borrowed time which kind of stinks.

But if it is best for the group, let's do work.

We have to remember that bar 1 or 2 these are all rookies and won't make a major impact in any territory. As much as there are some useful names in there, a 16 year old Shawn Michaels isn't going to set the world a light...

I completely agree... I think the only ones on that list that we've put together are Hickerson, Hernandez, and you could make a case for Nikita as being guys who come in and instantly could do something if booked the right way.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/31376-american-wrestling-association-results/page-8

Hey, kids, the AWA is now up to date! :)

Big huge thanks to all of the various promoters who helped me through this Hogan-less time with their generous talent sharing. Looking forward to all kinds of excitement in the post-redistribution era.

For those wondering about the mystery partners in the most recent house show. although both wrestlers were recently drafted by me, they were appearing as a part of an earlier talent arrangement with their original promoter that gave them to me for the month of December. The draft just ensured that they will be continuing with the AWA full time after that. Similar to that, the Super Destroyer's appearances have been a part of a similar talent arrangement.

Announcement from Southeastern Championship Wrestling:-

After completing his current tour of All Japan Pro Wrestling, "The Tennessee Studd" Ron Fuller will be stepping down from full time competition. He will continue his role as the Studd Stables new Executive Adviser. The Studd Stable, Robert Fuller, Jimmy Golden and The Assassins, would like to thank the "Tennessee Studd" for his years of service to the great sport of Professional Rasslin'.

Christmas Day will be Ron Fullers final match.

(Ron Fuller will move from active wrestler to manager).

What are people's opinion on loans? If you loan a wrestler/manager out, are you able to use that spot to replace your missing talent?

I dunno... you still own the rights to that individual right?

For instance, Adrian Adonis is on loan to BTW... but he is still mine even though he's working there... so he still holds that spot. That would be my only argument on saying a spot is a spot regardless of if you are actively using them right now or if they are loaned out.

On top of the idea that it would be difficult to try and organize the rosters in that sense.

Here are my thoughts. The 36 wrestler cap applies to spots on your full time roster. Loans are aside from that, as are appearances by freelancers.

I am sending Bob Smith to Southeastern for the next 3 weeks and in return he is sending me Dave Johnson for the same period. All good.

I am sending Bob Smith to Southeastern for the next 3 weeks and taking nothing in return (or future considerations or whatever) and will be fine with the rest of my roster while he is gone. All good.

I am sending Bob Smith to Southeastern for the next 3 weeks and taking nothing in return, but now I have a gap in my shows that I need to fill ... perhaps there should be an allowance to take on Steve Wilson from the Free Agent list on a temporary basis, with the understanding that the moment Bob Smith comes back, Steve Wilson is gone back to the Free Agent list.

Makes sense? Too complicated?

I think a gap in the roster should just be something you have to consider before you loan people...I mean no one can effectively use 36 people at all times anyway...and IMO the whole loaning and borrowing from the free agent list is gonna be a huge headache for whoever is having to keep it organized...just my 2 cents.