Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We hit a nerve immediately on lunch when they fired Lisa Lee five days later. The sports entertainment folks may not WANT to acknowledge us - but they CAN'T ignore us. We have proven that there is a market for classic wrestling and they were wrong. That's why you're seeing so much more NWA and Mid South content lately. Feels great to have people react to what you're doing.

We hit a nerve immediately on lunch when they fired Lisa Lee five days later. The sports entertainment folks may not WANT to acknowledge us - but they CAN'T ignore us. We have proven that there is a market for classic wrestling and they were wrong. That's why you're seeing so much more NWA and Mid South content lately. Feels great to have people react to what you're doing.

+1 for competition. Always.

Magnum TA vs Missing Link 9/23/83

I always thought Magnum was like a hybrid Von Erich. Like he was willing to sell like David, had fire like Kevin, and the "IT" factor of Kerry. This was a better match than I had seen any of the Von Erich's have with Link. We see early on Magnum on a fun shine sequence. Link was great at eating all of Magnum's offense and bumping big for it. Magnum's offense wasn't anything special, but the way Link put it over sure was. The early part of Link's heat was great with some really nifty back work. Of course Magnum's comeback is full of fire. We get a ref bump which sets up Link getting the win, and a match with JYD next week. 3*

King Kong Bundy/One Man Gang vs Hacksaw Duggan/ Steve Williams 9/23/83

This has a lot of beef here. Doc is pretty green here. So green he has no facial hair. He makes up for being green by being intense as hell. We start out with a brawl right at bell. 1st Doc pairs off with Bundy and ecerts his physical dominance. Then Doc does the same with Gang and scores and amateur take down. Duggan in with OMG and the gang is bumping big for all of Duggan's offense. Bundy in to give it a try and both guys are throwing hands that sees old Hacksaw get the advantage. Doc back in, but this time Bundy and Gang have the advantage. The heels are using their weight to tire out Doc. Doc makes the tag, but an experienced worker would have milked it some more. Duggan in and he misses a shoulder into the corner. Duggan with a great cross body for 2 . What a hope spot. OMG picks Doc up for a slam but Duggan hits the spear and the faces go over. All 4 guys worked hard, and cut a good pace. I liked it a lot. 3*

Initially I was super excited to see a Duggan/Doc team up but then I realized if Bundy was there it had to be in 1983 before Doc became bad ass UWF Doc. I'm sure I'll like watching it when I see it but man...that match in 1986 would have been fucking amazing.

Butch Reed vs Dusty Rhodes 9/23/83

We start out with 2 really good promos. Dusty's promo was off the chart, but have no clue what he mans to out black Reed.

Early on we have Dusty funky like a monkey. He nails Reed with the bionic elbow. Dusty is 1 step ahead early. Dusty transitions to the leg and works a leg lock. This is to take Butch's strength out of the equation.Reed was real good at making Dusty look good. He bumped well and sold for Dusty. When Reed was on offense he didn't really get a chance to get the heat. His heat segment was a front facelock and that's pretty uninteresting. So the 1st 10 minutes or so was fun Though when Butch goes on offense the match suffers. It just wasn't much of a heat segment. We get a fun postmatch though. The promos were great though.

Gino Hernandez vs Bob Markus was a fun bout. Gino early heeling it up and camoflauging all of it while working an arm bar. Gino's instincts are rally good here. So we see this for a few minutes. Markus makes a comeback and goes after the arm. Those were some fun revenge spots. Gino with an eye rake and goes down stairs and does some fun leg work. Not to be outdone Markus returns the favor. Eventually, Gino is too much and falls prey to Gino's falling reverse elbow. Yhe match had a lot of energy to t with both guys working hard in an underneath match. 2 1/2*

I am back from being on the road - quick trip to Mississippi / Tennessee - so I will be uploading more matches starting today.

Had a GREAT conversation with Jim Cornette about NWAClassics. He loves it and was so excited talking about his Houston days. Told a back story about why Boesch got involved in the finish on that Midnight Express tag match. he told me that when Boesch came down to ringside and put his hand on his shoulder - and told him GET BACK TO THE DRESSING ROOM - he said the fans were about to riot and Paul saw that when he did not. Cornette said Paul saved his life that night.

Jimmy was surprised - did not know that there was a full bar in Houston. The people were drunk by the main event. I also told him what a genius he was - even back then when he was just a kid. He appreciated that - and we had a great conversation about Houston.

Ernie Ladd vs. Master Gee is online. Very quick match but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. Classics Ernie Ladd selling - unique football tackle off the top rope by George Wells - as well as a really interesting combination submission hold / pin finish. I love seeing newly discovered vintage footage of legends such as Ernie Ladd like this!

Steve Williams/Hercules vs Hacksaw Duggan/Bill Dundee 10/12/84

This is an interesting match. It had a lot neat stuff, along with things that surprised me. The card this match was on drew a 33,000 dollar house.

I thought the shine was well worked. Dundee and Duggan played off each other well. The shine had a lot of energy to it They did a big brother/little brother thing. Like they did the Duggan pose together.Plus both Duggan and Dundee are great at connecting to the crowd. I marked out big for the Doc/Dundee slam off where Dundee used leverage to cause Doc to get a wedgie every time he tried to slam Dundee. Duggan had some fun spots. The guys did a good job mixing in the comedy with the tag spots. Eventually Dundee is the FIP. The comedy is now all thrown out the window and they just beat the crap out of Dundee. The heat is really built well and Hercules takes a football helmet and KO's Dundee for the win. I liked this for a change of pace where the hot tag wasn't made. It was built to, but didn't happen. I thought the wrestlers did a good job mixing the comedy, heat and storytelling to have a good match , while also taking chances. 3*

Ernie Ladd vs Master G 10/12/84

This was a quick fight. I dug Ladd's work in the corner. This was a masterclass in putting some one over. Master G was the guy Watts wanted to replace JYD as the face of the company. So Ladd is on him for about a minute. Master G makes a comeback with a big move off the top and makes Ladd submit. You can't blame Ladd for Master G failing. Ladd put him over as big as possible.

Butch Reed vs Dusty Rhodes 9/23/83

We start out with 2 really good promos. Dusty's promo was off the chart, but have no clue what he mans to out black Reed.

Early on we have Dusty funky like a monkey. He nails Reed with the bionic elbow. Dusty is 1 step ahead early. Dusty transitions to the leg and works a leg lock. This is to take Butch's strength out of the equation.Reed was real good at making Dusty look good. He bumped well and sold for Dusty. When Reed was on offense he didn't really get a chance to get the heat. His heat segment was a front facelock and that's pretty uninteresting. So the 1st 10 minutes or so was fun Though when Butch goes on offense the match suffers. It just wasn't much of a heat segment. We get a fun postmatch though. The promos were great though.

Man did I enjoy this match. I guess I'm old, but wrestling was so much better back then.

Hey I'm with you on wrestling being better in the 80's and even 70's. I much prefer the presentation and psychology in the matches. Full disclosure I'm over 40.

I liked the Reed/Dusty match is sections. Just felt they missed the mark in some areas. Some of those areas are really important to me. Like I felt Reed did his best and made Dusty look like a million bucks. Though when it was Dusty's time he cut the heat short, and went with a lukewarm finish.

Went all the way back to the first set of uploads to try and go forward and watch some of the stuff I didn't see yet. I watched the Gino Gernandez, Gran Markus & Killer Tim Brooks vs. Jose Lothario, El Halcon & Mil Mascaras Two Ring, 6 man tag from 6/29/79 earlier today and thought it was a lot of fun. Kind of hard to keep track of everything going on as there are essentially 2 matches going on at the same time which obviously didn't make Paul Boesch's job of calling it very easy. But it's pretty much all action as even Killer Brooks is forced to keep moving and not just sit in a hold as he is wont to do. Pretty unique match type that you could only run a few times a year when there was a 2 ring battle royal scheduled.

My biggest takeaways from the match were that I don't think Mil Mascaras' bad rep is really warranted and that I want to see more El Halcon matches.

Just watched Jake Roberts/Duggan vs Nightmare/Lord Humongous 10/11/85 and thought this was way better than it looks on paper considering the heels. Duggan is a great ass kicker in this and they really do a great job of working around Humongous not being very good by keeping his parts of the match pretty limited. Super disappointing end though as the tape just cuts out and we don't get a finish.

Watching this I also though that Randy Colley was probably more influenced by Humongous when he was coming up with the Demolition gimmick than The Road Warriors as Demolition had almost the exact same outfits at Humongous in this match just with face paint instead of a hockey mask.

• Loss unpinned this topic